Buying a car

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Now i was not to sure where to put this , so i put it here.

Buying that new/old car, are there any deals to be had for buying a 2nd hand car over in the Philippines.

I have just opened my big mouth and said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, to the question but i thought i would ask o here.

Sister in law asked Emma to ask me to borrow her 150.000 peso for this 8 year old car so she can commute to and from work and she will pay me back in November.

Now my car i drive here in England is 19 years old and its worth to me thousands , but in real money its worth around 9,000 peso so why would i send money over there for a car.

The sister works in Manila and she gets a allowance for a car in her wage but she chooses to keep the cash rather then buy the car, but now she is fed up of waiting for buses and getting to the house very late and so on, but she has been doing this ever since i came onto the scene .

I did ask as she asked her sister and her father in law and even her husband too, but i just got that look, and no i have a few hours of peace from Emma too a she thinks we should GIVE it her, sorry borrow it her.

I thought i got rid of that tattoo  on my forehead TW-T. but a little bit of the ink i rubbed off all those years ago i must have missed.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Steve, seems that this is more about family relationships than used/new car (which I know something about). I try not to give advise about family matters, but rather give options.

1. give the money, keep the wife and family happy

2. don't give the money and prepare the guest room for occupancy, because it sure seems like your wife wants to give the money to her sister :hystery:

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Now i was not to sure where to put this , so i put it here.

Buying that new/old car, are there any deals to be had for buying a 2nd hand car over in the Philippines.

I have just opened my big mouth and said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, to the question but i thought i would ask o here.

Sister in law asked Emma to ask me to borrow her 150.000 peso for this 8 year old car so she can commute to and from work and she will pay me back in November.

Now my car i drive here in England is 19 years old and its worth to me thousands , but in real money its worth around 9,000 peso so why would i send money over there for a car.

The sister works in Manila and she gets a allowance for a car in her wage but she chooses to keep the cash rather then buy the car, but now she is fed up of waiting for buses and getting to the house very late and so on, but she has been doing this ever since i came onto the scene .

I did ask as she asked her sister and her father in law and even her husband too, but i just got that look, and no i have a few hours of peace from Emma too a she thinks we should GIVE it her, sorry borrow it her.

I thought i got rid of that tattoo  on my forehead TW-T. but a little bit of the ink i rubbed off all those years ago i must have missed.

Steve let Emma give her the money out of her salary.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, scott h said:

Steve, seems that this is more about family relationships than used/new car (which I know something about). I try not to give advise about family matters, but rather give options.

2. don't give the money and prepare the guest room for occupancy, because it sure seems like your wife wants to give the money to her sister :hystery:

My advice:

draw the line in the sand, go fo option 2 and save yourself a lot of money in the future - not your problem.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Sister in law asked Emma to ask me to borrow her 150.000 peso for this 8 ye

What I don't understand is this:  Almost every filipino and their kids have new cars here now.  They are all over the place.  Reason is that a filipino with a job can buy a new Hyundai Eon on promo price for as little as 5,000 pesos down payment and 9,000 a month for 5 years.  Thats not a lot more than buying a motorcycle for the middle class filipinos.  Heck, my neighbor has one which she pays for by chatting on-line to foreigners (who send money and her husband doesn't care as he loves that car).

So why would she want to "borrow" money for a second hand car when she can have a new one so cheap?  And the way things work here, its better than renting because if she can't make the payments she just turns it back over to the back and they say "thank you"

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Why only 150,000. How can she possibly get a new car for so little money?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If Emma were to simply give her the money to buy a 150K junker as soon as anything goes wrong.... like the next day.... it could become "The car you got for me to drive to work broke down now I can't get to work it costs 20K to repair and I missed three days of work can't feed the children need meds for my stress and the rooster quit laying eggs"

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott h said:

That's what it boils down to. Go in assuming the worst, and decide accordingly.

But judging by this thread's responses, my nostrils perceive the pungent aroma of a scam in the works.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 3