Buying a car

robert k
Posted
Posted

There are some deals for someone who knows vehicles and what must be fixed and what you can live with. I bought a Toyota Tamaraw for 65K that I eventually had 100K in but I really could have stopped at 85K and drove it for years.

Steve, your car for 9K php value where it is doesn't account for island pricing! In the Philippines that could be a 150-200k vehicle. Something to ponder on.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Steve let Emma give her the money out of her salary.

I asked her that but how will i buy my shoes she said with a rye smile.:89:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

Steve, seems that this is more about family relationships than used/new car (which I know something about). I try not to give advise about family matters, but rather give options.

1. give the money, keep the wife and family happy

2. don't give the money and prepare the guest room for occupancy, because it sure seems like your wife wants to give the money to her sister :hystery:

The wife will be happy over the coming days once she knows i was right, and the spare room is always there for my wife if she chooses to go that way.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Questions like this on these forums are common, even I have asked and contributed my 2 bobs worth over the years. In the end for myself and Bengie we say no. His family think we are wealthy and by their standard we are but not in Australia, we are average middle of the road and got there by watching what we spend and going without, planning a decent retirement etc. not by giving money away and that's what it is with family there, you have to gift not lend.

We do help medical/dental/university (some 50 to 60K PHP annually) as needed and I feel that is enough, Bengie is coming around also, slowly slowly he grasps the situation and the potential problems regarding this issue when we move there in a couple of years. As I say to him God helps those that help themselves. I could go on for hours about lazy family members but I am sure we all have the same problems.

A suggestion Stevewool, as she is working and getting an allowance for a car. Firstly did or is she saving any of those funds to help herself purchase a car? Second, why not send her to the bank to borrow the money like many people do? Good luck with your choice.

Cheers, Steve.

Just saw Scott's reply and a valid point made, you have to work out this problem with your better half definitely but a little ammunition for you.If they don't have the money to buy a car because they spend/live week to week how are they going to be able to afford LTO, fuel, tyres and servicing. Insurance?

Thats just what i asked too, the running cost,

She gets a whopping 30,000 a month travel expense included in her wage i am told , so why does she want my money if she cannot manage on that amount already well its not worth having a car then .

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

How about you tell her that "instead of repay a loan in November, wait until November and then buy a car."

Done that, but like many things you get to know, maybe its for something else.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, stevewool said:

maybe its for something else.

:thumbsup: Say no More

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

If Emma were to simply give her the money to buy a 150K junker as soon as anything goes wrong.... like the next day.... it could become "The car you got for me to drive to work broke down now I can't get to work it costs 20K to repair and I missed three days of work can't feed the children need meds for my stress and the rooster quit laying eggs"

Why is it we men think of all these things but the women dont.

I am not knocking any lady who does think these things , just the ones that dont i may just add.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Well boys and girls , thank you for the wonderful advice and i must say my bed is my bed and i will never move out of that room and may be there might be a few hours of silence , but then thats good for the brain.

No money is leaving my bank account or our bank accounts for a silly car.

I have a great memory and its hard to forget how i have been treated and there father has been treating by the family, yes they seem to forget these matters and move on to another hardluck story, while i am still seething about the last one.

Hay ho we live and learn, HOPEFULLY.

Perhaps Steve let your lovely lady read the replies to your question, she may see that it is not only your/her family has an expectation from us apparently rich Kano's. Some of us have learnt to say no or why aren't they doing this for themselves as I or we did. We have plenty of scammers/opportunists in Oz, in the Philippines? Say no more. Gods speed with sorting this out, your wife loves you as you love her and will see the reasoning for your and her future.

BTW, 30k is over twice the average wage in Manila, my better half in Manila clearing only 13 to 14K a month also managed to send 3 to 4K a month home to his Dad and had an iPhone 4 and a motorbike when we met 6 years ago,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe Bengie was a saver and, still is, valuing what he earns and a decent future where he has no need to rely on others. Perhaps the husband is out of work? The house needs painting? sorry to be cynical.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Thats just what i asked too, the running cost,

She gets a whopping 30,000 a month travel expense included in her wage i am told , so why does she want my money if she cannot manage on that amount already well its not worth having a car then .

30,000k per month,as Dave says she could buy one for a lot less than that.SCAM alert

• Like 1