Children banned on motorcycles starting tomorrow
2 2

48 posts in this topic

 I guess this To-day now but they are kidding of course :89: I suspect, that the Politician that introduced this RA, has never (or seldom) spent much time in the provinces or the even the Poorer Islands:

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/blog/children-banned-motorcycles-starting-tomorrow?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=wall&utm_campaign=blog_news

The Article is  long so I have just Linked it :thumbsup:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

in the provinces

Jack, like most of the laws that concern traffic that I have seen they are really aimed at Metro Manila. If that makes sense.:89:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Jack, like most of the laws that concern traffic that I have seen they are really aimed at Metro Manila. If that makes sense.:89:

Of course it does Scott. that is where these Nob Heads live, not out in the Real Philippines among the people that Voted them into office

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article also mentions on provincial rods though. Good luck enforcing this one! Motorcycles overloaded with small children get to me all the time here. Life being so cheap, but it is such a huge danger. I think that people who do this just think a terrible mishap won't happen to them.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

This article also mentions on provincial rods though. Good luck enforcing this one! Motorcycles overloaded with small children get to me all the time here. Life being so cheap, but it is such a huge danger. I think that people who do this just think a terrible mishap won't happen to them.

The Problem is Queenie Habal Habal type riding is the Only way that the Poorer people can exist in the Provinces when you have 4/5 or even 6 kids they need to go to school & various other places. My Friends Helper lives way up in the mountains of Siaton in Negros OR and as I said somewhere before, it is two Trike rides to the Next village from the Town, then the Barangay Road to the House is only Passable most of the way by Sol Motorcycles (Hence Habal Habal)  Yes I agree in the City But as I said to Scott, These Lawmakers do not go far enough into things. On the other Hand, we do not hear much about Accidents to these people so  I guess they are a lot safer than the Idiots of Speed

JMHO 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The Problem is Queenie Habal Habal type riding is the Only way that the Poorer people can exist in the Provinces when you have 4/5 or even 6 kids they need to go to school & various other places. My Friends Helper lives way up in the mountains of Siaton in Negros OR and as I said somewhere before, it is two Trike rides to the Next village from the Town, then the Barangay Road to the House is only Passable most of the way by Sol Motorcycles (Hence Habal Habal)  Yes I agree in the City But as I said to Scott, These Lawmakers do not go far enough into things. On the other Hand, we do not hear much about Accidents to these people so  I guess they are a lot safer than the Idiots of Speed

JMHO 

Oh I know Jack--sadly it's a necessity for many poor families here, so there is really no alternative. I always say a silent prayer when I see them and hope that they go slow and don't have to far to travel to their destination. What burns me is a motorcyclist or back rider wagging a small infant or toddler off their arm as they speed along bumpy provincial roads. There has to be some thought to safety even in a precarious situation!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

There has to be some thought to safety even in a precarious situation!

Damned if there is, damned if there is not 

BTW it took over 20 years to actually get this sorted in Spain and wear Helmets. so maybe on my 89 th Birthday they will achieve it

:89: Did you know, this has been Law since 2015 and Only now implemented, as you say Enforcing is another game

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if the family sees the cops coming the other way and they toss the kid into the bushes is that OK?  I only say that because I have seen someone drop their child off the bike and they just turned around, picked it up, dusted it off and continued on their way.  You ain't gonna change the habits of rural people by the decree of some guy in Manila.  How else are they going to transport their kids around the rural areas?  Even if they had cars, there are places the cars can't get to.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I don't like the motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic while two,three, and five with the kids here in Laguna, rarely ever see a child with a helmet.  Scraping the side of cars, I am still thankful to see them because otherwise, all those cycles would be cars which translates into more traffic on the already overcrowded roads.  Now if only I had a solution to recommend to one of those politicians of children on the cycles, we could both be rich.  Like others have said, it is a sad necessity.  Maybe we should all just buy golf carts!:89:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reread the article again;

Exemptions

According to the Department of Transportation (DOTr), RA 10666 may allow children to ride if they can comfortably reach the standard foot peg of a motorcycle; wrap their arms around and grip the waist of the rider; and if the child is wearing a helmet.

So, will we soon see the foot pegs being extended to the height of the seat and a strap around the drivers waist?:89:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
2 2