Children banned on motorcycles starting tomorrow

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Too true, but remember this is really designed for Metro Manila.

There are many stages of development in the PI. Manila is so different from the provinces and the mountains or deep rural are so different than the provinces. These new laws are certainly a step in the right direction. The ticket in the mail works in Canada, even for red light cameras and photo radar.

I just read in the Visayan that Bacolod has a new tow away zone law but in the 6 years that I have been here, never once have I seen a tow truck in Negros. This tow away law is a good one to stop people from parking any and every where. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

How was that even accomplished Reboot?!!

I wish I knew, but I guess when there's a will, there's a way, especially when there's bills to pay.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I daresay it is but I think we should look and this as (improbable as it may be) something that those here, just may try and Do :89:

Maybe it's photoshopped, maybe, not. Seems impossible!

But I have seen those bikes carrying lumber in Mindanao. Huge improbable pieces of lumber. I think they run them for making paper.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you've only been to Manila then you haven't been to Philippines.

This is so true and I have told many this myself!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

In this CebuSunstar article today, it describes the Mayor of Cebu City's thoughts about the new ruling:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/05/21/not-so-gung-ho-new-law-543039

Edited by Queenie O.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

In this CebuSunstar article today, it describes the Mayor of Cebu City's thoughts about the new ruling:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/05/21/not-so-gung-ho-new-law-543039

I understand his concern about school - but in Cebu how far away do most kids live from school?  In 1st grade I waked 1 mile to school... can't they? In Junior High I walked 2.5 miles to school.  It is not that far, really. 

Out in the province they can be pretty far from school, but we know they can ride bikes out there.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I understand his concern about school

I read the article and it mentions countless times about how kids can't go to school.  It does not take much reading between the lines to see that the mayor's real concern is that people are going to start bugging him to spend some city money on school busses, which he should be doing anyway.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I read the article and it mentions countless times about how kids can't go to school.  It does not take much reading between the lines to see that the mayor's real concern is that people are going to start bugging him to spend some city money on school busses, which he should be doing anyway.

100 % agree. One bus = 50 less tricycles/motorcycles jamming up the narrow streets.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I understand his concern about school - but in Cebu how far away do most kids live from school?  In 1st grade I waked 1 mile to school... can't they? In Junior High I walked 2.5 miles to school.  It is not that far, really. 

Out in the province they can be pretty far from school, but we know they can ride bikes out there.

I thought that the Mayor was a little "over the top" in his assessment of the situation. Maybe it's time to get back on the jeepneys to get to school. Maybe some of those e-vehicles would be nice to bring in? School buses would be nice as Dave mentioned. A lot less traffic every day too.

Back in the town, here when I was in the Peace Corps, we all walked to the central school and nearby neighborhood schools. There were very few personal vehicles or motorcycles at that time, and teachers and students took walking for granted without complaint.Nowadays, children who can't afford to ride the habalhabal and have no ride, will sometimes hitch a ride, but mostly walk. Up in the mountain barangays, poorer children have been walking all along, often quite a distance.  During rainy season sometimes school closes temporarily due to dangers for walkers from potential mudslides.

It's a lucky child that owns a bike to ride though.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

The penalties seem pretty unrealistic too. Who thinks they will be fined or be able to pay such high sums?  Kind of makes the whole law unrealistic as payments are insurmountable for most..

Any person who violates RA 10666 will be penalized P3,000 for the 1st offense, P5,000 for the 2nd offense, and P10,000 for the 3rd offense (with 1-month driver’s license suspension). If caught for the 4th time, the rider will be fined P10,000 and revocation of driver’s license.