Philippines immigration going backwards

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Over the last year or two immigration made changes that were for the better but now in my opinion going backward. Longer processing times which also mean two trips just to do one extension. Longer queues and bad service are not a good look for tourists. What I can not understand is why there is a long processing time now even without the express lane as they used to just do it while you wait so why cant they do it now?

So yesterday I decided to use an agent to extend my visa as I could not be bothered with dealing with immigration. That's all good until I get a message that the BI wants my old passport or a fee of 1500 peso applies. I arrived in October with a new passport as the old had expired, done 3 extensions without problem so why now do they want an old passport.

What if it's the only passport I ever had and first time traveling here ? Just more nonsense. 

bi release.jpg  bi 8.jpg

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a scam!!! The entry stamp on your passport should be all they need from your passport, new or old.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, robert k said:

Sounds like a scam!!! The entry stamp on your passport should be all they need from your passport, new or old.

Should so why I dont know. They did question me I think on the second extension as to how long I have been here which made no sense as even if l had been here awhile the entry stamp would show l had been out of the country so effectively it would be just starting again.  

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Should so why I dont know. They did question me I think on the second extension as to how long I have been here which made no sense as even if l had been here awhile the entry stamp would show l had been out of the country so effectively it would be just starting again.  

If they really had a legitimate reason for needing your old passport? I doubt that 1500 php would make it right? If they really needed your old passport, neither love or money should get you out of providing it? 

Tell them you want to see the 1500 fee on the receipt (Or you won't pay it) and that you will be visiting an office to check when it's convenient to you? Suddenly that 1500 may not be necessary after all? I really think you are being scammed.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, robert k said:

I really think you are being scammed.

So do I but not the BI. More like the Agent If it is the Agent I would report it to BI and have them question the Agent

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

So do I but not the BI. More like the Agent If it is the Agent I would report it to BI and have them question the Agent

Right Jack, but the agent can't ask the BI to put the extra 1500 php on the receipt if it isn't an official charge, now can he?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

Tell them you want to see the 1500 fee on the receipt (Or you won't pay it) and that you will be visiting an office to check when it's convenient to you? Suddenly that 1500 may not be necessary after all? I really think you are being scammed.

It was no problem as I have my old passport. All it meant was that the agent had to make another trip to collect it from me. Just dont know why they want it. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The agent is a very reputable expats services that I have used before and known the owners for years. There is no reason they would try for an extra 1500 as it cost them money and time to collect my old passport. Also the agent is a personal friend of Dave H so I think we can rule that scammed by the agent out. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The agent is a very reputable expats services that I have used before and known the owners for years. There is no reason they would try for an extra 1500 as it cost them money and time to collect my old passport. Also the agent is a personal friend of Dave H so I think we can rule that scammed by the agent out. 

Understood but I have never Heard of this before She's away at this time, but when she is back I will ask my Lawyer if she can tell us. she is a BI Interviewing Lawyer and is well versed on BI

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

It is exceedingly strange that they want a passport other than the one you entered on?

As I said before, If they have a legitimate need to see your old passport? I doubt that 1500 php would make that requirement go away?