Duterte signs executive order on nationwide smoking ban

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

This may make some expats unhappy - if it is enforced.  Iloilo has been smoke free for years and it does not seem to be a problem.  Each business enforces it. I see very little public smoking here. Some of the expats hate it. I doubt the smaller communities and barangays will bother enforcing it.  :tiphat:

President Rodrigo Duterte has signed an executive order banning smoking in public places nationwide, officials confirmed Thursday...

Ubial said the signing of Executive Order 26 was made in time for the celebration of World No Tobacco Day on May 31...

EO No. 26 titled “Providing for the establishment of smoke-free environments in public and enclosed spaces,” listed as a prohibited act smoking in “enclosed public spaces and public conveyances, whether stationary or in motion, except in DSA (designated smoking areas).”

The EO provides standards for a spot to be considered a designated smoking area (DSA), which may either be an open space or a separate area with proper ventilation.

For a DSA inside an enclose space, there shall be no opening that would allow air to escape into smoke-free area of a building or conveyance, except for a single door equipped with an automatic door closer.

A DSA shall also have a non-smoking buffer zone. The combined area for a DSA and its buffer zone should not be larger than 20 percent of the total floor area of the building or conveyance.

The DSA is also barred from being located within 10 meters from entrances, exits, or any place where people pass or congregate, or in front of air intake ducts. There shall be no more than one DSA in a building, and the chosen area should bear proper signage. 

Minors are prohibited from DSAs, the order said.

The EO, however, bars the establishment of DSAs in schools, hospitals, clinics, food preparation areas, and locations in which fire hazards are present.

Source: http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/18/17/duterte-signs-executive-order-on-nationwide-smoking-ban

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I see very little public smoking here.

Different story in the Cebu IT park. They stand around in groups in front of buildings causing a haze. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Doesn't affect me now, been smoke free for 57 days!!

Well done Brett, keep it up brother :thumbsup:

I doubt whether it would be enforceable completely, the powers that be, will pick and choose who they prosecute, mainly foreigners I guess.

Just checked the price here in UK.....£6;99 for 20 pack and £9;35 for kingsize, I dont know people can afford to smoke these day's :morning1:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

I dont know people can afford to smoke these day's

Smokes are cheap here in the PIs.  They sell them by the stick, most brands are p3-p5 per stick. If you buy a whole pack you are expected to share ha ha :tiphat:

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)

From me also, well done Brett, how? I have tried everything but to no avail and "sadly" was looking forward to us retiring in PH and paying AU 2K there instead of 20K here in OZ annually, lol, killing myself/ourselves at a much cheaper price. Food for thought, hope I give up before moving, another AU 20K every year is a lot of Red horse to kick ourselves with, many holidays and living longer with my better half.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Doesn't affect me now, been smoke free for 57 days!!

Congrats. Two and a half years smoke free for me. Unfortunately the damage had already been done from 35 years of smoking.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I applaud all those that can stop:AddEmoticons04230:, I never could and at 69, My Lungs are Fine So I will just live as I have for years, :mellow:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The law is enforced in Davao City.

The Filipino who was making a duplicate key for me was arrested for smoking. I didn't think of it at the time but later I wondered how the television crew with cameras arrived so quickly. His wife laughing said that he will be on the TV News later that night.

I guess President Duterte is making the law nation wide.