Duterte signs executive order on nationwide smoking ban

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bigpearl said:

From me also, well done Brett, how? I have tried everything but to no avail and "sadly" was looking forward to us retiring in PH and paying AU 2K there instead of 20K here in OZ annually, lol, killing myself/ourselves at a much cheaper price. Food for thought, hope I give up before moving, another AU 20K every year is a lot of Red horse to kick ourselves with, many holidays and living longer with my better half.

Cheers, Steve.

Well for me, being faced with my own mortality, and the fact I've recently become a grandfather to a beautiful little girl I want to know me for many years to come, I just went cold turkey.  My addiction was all about me, when it started affecting other's lives that I love, that's when I stopped.  

Edit:  And another plus, I've saved close to $1100AUD since I quit given that a durry is about $1/smoke in Australia now.  So more fun in the Philippines when I visit next time!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

The law is enforced in Davao City.

The Filipino who was making a duplicate key for me was arrested for smoking. I didn't think of it at the time but later I wondered how the television crew with cameras arrived so quickly. His wife laughing said that he will be on the TV News later that night.

I guess President Duterte is making the law nation wide.

It is enforced in Iloilo as well.  I see very little smoking in public here.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm 100% behind Duterte on this one. I've never been a smoker but I've had the misfortune of having many a good meal and set of clothes ruined by the stench.

For me it's also those that are left behind when the big C catches up with most of them that I feel for. I've held my Mother's hands and also my step Fathers hands as they passed away through smoking related illnesses. By the time they realised the suffering their smoking would cause to those left behind it was too late. I just can't get my head around why anyone with family would want to kill themselves rather than watch their children growing up. I was left no choice but to describe my parents to my children and to achieve things that they would have been proud of but weren't around to see. I make no apologies if this post shames at least one person into looking at their kids and throwing their coffin nails away. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, BrettGC said:

To the point where I couldn't sleep with a woman if she was a smoker.

In the USA many years ago there was a poster for anti-smoking.  The picture showed an ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts.  The message was "Kissing a cigarette smoker is like licking an ashtray."  I had to quit several times, been off the smokes for about 27 years now.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Each to our own BUT I can tell you now It has killed the UK & Spain's Bar/Pub trade and has had an immense effect on Both Health & Hospital Incomes, In the UK the Tobacco Tax actually paid for the residue not covered By NI (National Insurance) In Spain it has just Killed the Bar scene which in turn Provided a good Income for Hospitals and Local Health Centres Through Taxes.

Totally Banning Smoking only appeases those in the Minority (Non Smokers) and they are in the Minority. Both The Countries Government Head Quarters allow smoking in the Restaurants and Bars because they are Royal Palaces & do not come under the Commoner laws.

One rule for them and one rule for us, As usual. I am of the Opinion that Mr president will rue the day.

Dumaguete has a No smoking Ordinance (and has had for 5+ years) with very Liberal rules for Entertainment Establishments and I think he ( The President) should have a look into this

Sorry if this seems Negative BUT...................:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

In the USA many years ago there was a poster for anti-smoking.  The picture showed an ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts.  The message was "Kissing a cigarette smoker is like licking an ashtray."  I had to quit several times, been off the smokes for about 27 years now.

We had a similar campaign here in Australia during the 80's.  That was back when smoking rates were still over 50%.  I live in the state of Queensland in Australia, we have the highest rate of smoking in Australia and that's 15% of adults and falling rapidly.  According to the World Health Organisation, Philippines is at about 28%, I take this with a grain of salt.  I doesn't really break it down to the occasional compared the the regular smoker.  I've seen Filipino friends of mine that never smoke normally but when having a drink go and get that 5PHP/"stick" we've all seen advertised.  Anecdotally, generally speaking in my experience, women in Phils don't generally smoke but it does happen, men on the other hand, depending on their income level, do.  The higher the income or education, the lower the rate of smoking of both sexes but I'd still say that smoking is in the minority there now.  

Having traveled the country extensively, I'd say that most entertainment venues (bars, nightclubs etc) do turn a blind eye to smoking despite local or provincial ordinances but this is becoming less common with every visit.  There are a lot more venues that do enforce it compared to years past.  It is a generational thing too to my mind, the older the peer group, the more likely they are to smoke.  I was in a bar in Tacloban last year, having a great time with a girl, but as soon as I went out for a smoke her eyes glazed over and she lost interest.  

Times, they are a changing folks. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, bigpearl said:

From me also, well done Brett, how? I have tried everything but to no avail and "sadly" was looking forward to us retiring in PH and paying AU 2K there instead of 20K here in OZ annually, lol, killing myself/ourselves at a much cheaper price. Food for thought, hope I give up before moving, another AU 20K every year is a lot of Red horse to kick ourselves with, many holidays and living longer with my better half.

Cheers, Steve.

A British friend of mine has been using Vape for about a month. Has not gone back to the real thing. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2017 at 8:09 PM, earthdome said:

Congrats. Two and a half years smoke free for me. Unfortunately the damage had already been done from 35 years of smoking.

Unfortunately my father gave up his heavy smoke habit and died a terrible and painful death from smoking. Hope you dont go through what he did. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I have heard that if you survive 5 years smoke free then your risk is really reduced.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I have heard that if you survive 5 years smoke free then your risk is really reduced.

My parents smoked rollies for 20 years, then quit and lived into their mid eighties and did not die from cancer.