Duterte signs executive order on nationwide smoking ban

Gary D
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, jpbago said:

My parents smoked rollies for 20 years, then quit and lived into their mid eighties and did not die from cancer.

My father who is 90 in about 5 weeks time gave up smoking decades ago, ok he hasn' t died of cancer but he still suffers cpld from smoking, likewise the mother in law suffers progressive emphysema, it's not a nice way to live. Don't kid yourselves the damage is already done, and it's not repairable.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2017 at 3:11 PM, BrettGC said:

Doesn't affect me now, been smoke free for 57 days!!

Well done Brett, you will keep enjoying a smoke free life, the longer you keep off them.  I did it 40 years ago, best move I ever made.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

My parents smoked rollies for 20 years, then quit and lived into their mid eighties and did not die from cancer.

Same thing happened with my grandparents. One grandfather quit in his 40s, made it past 80. The other did the same in his 50s, pushed into the 90s before he went. And the grandmothers are pushing 90 right now and still raisin' hell. But my folks tend to be long lived so long as they don't do anything really stupid.

Edited by Reboot

Reboot
Posted
Posted

To be honest though, I am a social smoker. Hanging with the barkada? I'll have a cig. But that's the end of it. For some reason, I never got hooked. Might smoke a couple of times a month. I don't think I smoke enough to make a difference to my health.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

All addictions are illness's and should be treated as such, with empathy and encouragement to quit. The holier than thou damning attitude has not and will not work in an addict's favour. 

For the record, my father smoked cigarettes for 70 years, at the age of 81 he changed to a pipe. He will be 90 in July and is in good physical health. His father, a smoker, lived until he was 86 and died of an unrelated disease. I have smoked for 50 years and feel fairly healthy but I do flirt with the idea of giving up, maybe one day!

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My Dad smoked 60 a day until he was 65, gave it up overnight, cold turkey.  He died at 93 and worked till he was 89.  Not cigarette related.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
On 5/19/2017 at 7:09 AM, earthdome said:

Congrats. Two and a half years smoke free for me. Unfortunately the damage had already been done from 35 years of smoking.

Unfortunately my father gave up his heavy smoke habit and died a terrible and painful death from smoking. Hope you dont go through what he did. 

Sorry to hear that. I already had the heart attack and lung cancer 7 years ago. That is what led me to retire early. Now I have early onset COPD that all you can hope to do is keep it from getting worse. Don't feel bad for me yet. I am still enjoying life and can still be very active and hopefully have many more years to enjoy life with my wife.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

I am still enjoying life and can still be very active and hopefully have many more years to enjoy life with my wife.

Hopefully you live a long time yet. My reply below is not directed at you but just a generally comment to all.

To throw a spanner into this topic. Yes I know there are many smokers on this forum or anywhere for that matter but let's thinks about the non smoker who has to put up with second hand smoke. ! The workers in the bar have no choice but to breath it in.  My mother breathed it in and the walls of the house were stained yellow from the smoke. I recall when I split from my first wife my mum did my washing which was good but I had to tell her I could not do it anymore as my washed and ironed clothes stunk of smoke.

So my point being if you want to smoke do it somewhere in private . Consider if someone farted in the elevator and understand what's its like for others. 

:popcorn:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Consider if someone farted in the elevator and understand what's its like for others. 

That would be a very close metaphor if you planned to kiss that person's ass later.

My ex smoked (secretly she thought) and then blamed me because I could not enjoy kissing her passionately.  For anyone who smokes and their wife does not, ask yourself how you like to kiss her after she's had a meal of dried fish?

Just my thoughts as an ex smoker.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That would be a very close metaphor if you planned to kiss that person's ass later.

My ex smoked (secretly she thought) and then blamed me because I could not enjoy kissing her passionately.  For anyone who smokes and their wife does not, ask yourself how you like to kiss her after she's had a meal of dried fish?

Just my thoughts as an ex smoker.

Don't need to kiss anyone's anything to not like it. Ever get stuck behind someone riding their no mirror, no lights, no muffler, no license, motorbike while smoking? I am not a big fan of having smoke blown and ashes flicked in my face... Oh and FYI for smokers in general, taking a last drag and blowing smoke out at the doorway does Not prevent you from smelling like an ashtray and stinking up the entire room - and in short order even the clothes and hair of the other people in the room.

I have often dreamed about carrying a water gun with skunk oil in it to 'return the favor'.

For me it never gets to the health issues, I have had enough just being assaulted (not just breathing obnoxious odor but having it stick to my clothes and hair). Do what you want to yourself, that is your right - but leave me alone, you do not have the right to force me to join you. 

Signed, son of a Camel un-filtered chain smoker, forced to breathe the cloud of smoke when in the back seat of the car and 'volunteered' to clean all the filthy ash trays (in the 1970s).

• Like 1