How to? Open 'Septic System' Treatment?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have recently rented a house which has a real septic system (no issue) for the toilets only. The sinks and showers run into open concrete ditches along and off the property. This already has standing water and oil/soap residue from the kitchen sink with the accompanying odors. There is direct access to most of it but there is a 3 meter enclosed section (like a square pipe) in the middle of the run. What is the best way to keep this clean and odor free? Would sprinkling the septic tank bacteria along it help? New problem for me and not sure where to start.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the septic tank is full. Check it out.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Perhaps the septic tank is full. Check it out.

The real septic tank is not the issue, I know how to deal with that. It is the open ditch that the sinks and showers drain into that is the problem (mix of standing water, soap scum, cooking grease residue - smells exactly like it sounds).

jpbago
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

The real septic tank is not the issue, I know how to deal with that. It is the open ditch that the sinks and showers drain into that is the problem (mix of standing water, soap scum, cooking grease residue - smells exactly like it sounds).

Pray for rain. Dilution is the solution.

Ours goes thru a 4 inch pipe to the closed street drainage but I do see others that goes into an open cement trough/gutter at the street. Rain cleans it mostly and once in awhile, city workers scrape it clean. Some houses will clean the gutter in front of their house only, just like snow removal.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Is it impractical to route grey water into the closed system?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

This already has standing water and oil/soap residue from the kitchen sink with the accompanying odors. There is direct access to most of it but there is a 3 meter enclosed section (like a square pipe) in the middle of the run. What is the best way to keep this clean and odor free?

Simple answer: There isn't one.  You clean the exposed area and flush lots of water into the enclosed section (I used to use a pressure washer) and hope for the best.  Odors are not a major concern for filipinos. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

I am renting so I'm gonna say yes. Not sure how old the house is but it certainly is not new, so not a new problem. Have electrical (1 outlet 0 volts, 1 triple outlet 50 volts each!?, 4 switches that do nothing) and kitchen cabinet problems higher on the maintenance list.

28 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Simple answer: There isn't one.  You clean the exposed area and flush lots of water into the enclosed section (I used to use a pressure washer) and hope for the best.  Odors are not a major concern for filipinos. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I certainly thought about how helpful a pressure washer would be, and this is not the first time (very useful for removing all the built-up mold/mildew/dirt from concrete). Still not used to the amount of maintenance that is landlord standard responsibility in the US but renter responsibility here. Biggest issues with buying one is, well, buying one (cheap ain't gonna do the job, would have to go for a 3000 psi unit). Then maintaining and storing it, all to do things I don't think I should have to as a renter - but will not get done if I do not do it myself.

As luck would have it, the biggest problem area runs right next to where I park and the walkway to the kitchen door. I don't like smelling it nor the idea of how many bugs/flies/mosquitoes etc it attracts and breeds.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

If you mean the closed septic system, grey water will kill the bacteria and over flow the system.

If you mean the 3 meter enclosed section in the OP, it is grey water in that system that he is concerned about. Well, not really grey but that is what it is referred to.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

The sinks and showers run into open concrete ditches along and off the property

You might be able to run 4 inch pvc from the sinks and showers to the street. Not expensive. I keep ours clean by running a submersible pump discharging (one inch) from 3 five gallon pails every month or so. Our pipes are under the driveway. Other times, if we get a heavy rain and the catch basin is flooded, then I pump that water into the 4 inch pvc.

At the moment, the city is installing covered concrete drainage on both sides of the street, about 2 feet in diameter with clean out catch basins every 15 meters. It pays to have a retired city manager next door and former vice mayor across the street. We had it on our side before but not completely to the next street downstream.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

For the grey water issues, have a friend in the real world look for an ENZYME that eats grease / oils / soaps. Not the same enzyme that eats septic tank sludge. Have it sent in your next box.

For the electrical issues, you have lost a neutral somewhere. That 50 volts will suddenly jump back to 230 volts with a proper neutral or ground. The other possibility is that the wires are crossed up and that 50 volts is off the neutral side of 'something'. Example.... a light that is off is turned on and someone has mistakenly used that neutral as a hot wire for a different light.... Not uncommon when wiring switches and getting wires mixed up. In any event electrocution is a very popular way to die in the Philippines.   :th_thbarbaque: :Zap: Also go to the electrical panel and (carefully) tighten ALL hot and neutral screws to make sure there is a good connection.

• Like 3