Money and the family

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Being from the west and knowing how life sees to work over here , is it the same over there when someone dies.

Do the vultures start to circle and the rats start to come out from under the floorboards too.

Having had the house built over in the Philippines and it should have been a joint venture buy the three sisters at first but like anything it ended up with just the one sister paying all, I must add this is the family house that was falling down all around there father and brother and the sisters wanted to make it good for the rest of there lives, and remember just the father and brother lives in it.

So my wife and i paid for everything , but my wife was promised that it was her house when anything did happen to the father, so its my house too.

But like anything in life where money is concerned all promises are thrown out of the window unless its all written down , then there is still no guarantee in my eyes. And Emma will not bother with this being written down as a promise is a promise in her eyes .

I did hear a little rumor that the house is not the problem but the land its on in the city of Marakina    is worth loads more then the house and and being there are 5 siblings there could be entitled to  a million or so.

Now i dont want to get mixed up in all this crap that could come my way and that is one reason i dont want to make the house grand and look at me sort of thing, as a base for us to stay there for as long as we are wanting i am fine with that, but having the worry of it being shared later on in life with the greedy people .

Am i looking at this all wrong , has anyone experienced this sort of thing before.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Am i looking at this all wrong

Yes.  Due to mandatory inheritance laws, the biggest rats, who did the least to help while the parents are alive, will scream for the largest amount when the death happens. And they will get quite a bit.

It does not seem to matter how much you did or what is written down, the inheritance laws are mandatory.  No one can sign anything to give you or your wife the rights to something that "belongs" to someone else after death.

The forum owner has a thread on this that you need to read in depth if you want to know how it applies.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes.  Due to mandatory inheritance laws, the biggest rats, who did the least to help while the parents are alive, will scream for the largest amount when the death happens. And they will get quite a bit.

It does not seem to matter how much you did or what is written down, the inheritance laws are mandatory.  No one can sign anything to give you or your wife the rights to something that "belongs" to someone else after death.

The forum owner has a thread on this that you need to read in depth if you want to know how it applies.

Cheers Dave,

I am not a stupid person, silly sometimes i know and my wife again she is not stupid, but she loves all her family warts and all and she says they have promised her.

Everything i have learnt so far about my wife and her family is what she has told me and what i have seen too, and they are just like my family , happy to see you but never happy to see you are doing better then themselves.

I know i have to be careful i what i say sometimes as it can be hurtful even if the person knows its the truth, but if someone calls my lazy good for nothing brothers who would rather spend his money on drink and them plead poverty other then me , WELL THEY WOULD GET BOTH BARRELS .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, stevewool said:

she loves all her family warts and all and she says they have promised her.

Steve, Mama Passed away just 40 days ago and I am living this Nightmare right now, believe what Dave says and please read  Jamie's Thread on this issue, Whatever Emma has been Told, It will not be so, When the Dust Has settled over the Land issue I will Post what happened but I can say Is,it is far worse than I ever imagined it to be, It has Split the Family into 3 groups. Me, I am keeping my Head down on this one and Steve, I have a Spare helmet if you need one. It is not Funny I know but you just have to smile when the S....t starts Flying 

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling AGAIN
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Steve, Mama Passed away just 40 days ago and I am living this Nightmare right now, believe what Dave says and please read  Jamie's Thread on this issue, Whatever Emma has been Told, It will not be so, When the Dust Has settled over the Land issue I will Post what happened but I can say Is,it is far worse than I ever imagined it to be, It has Split the Family into 3 groups. Me, I am keeping my Head down on this one and Steve, I have a Spare helmet if you need one. It is not Funny I know but you just have to smile when the S....t starts Flying 

Thank you for taking the time to reply Jack.

Where money is concerned and its our hard earned money too i am not prepared to let it go so easy, like i have mentioned i dont mind paying our way, but deep down you know there will be problems ahead, its trying to do all the planning now so i will have nothing to lose in the future.

Onwards and upwards they say.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Can someone point me in the right direction of the thread that i need to read .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Can someone point me in the right direction of the thread that i need to read .

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/26818-succession-estate-law-in-the-philippines/?page=7#comment-203400

Just for you Steve.

Steve, I Think it will come up last Page, so you need to go to the Topic Start:thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/26818-succession-estate-law-in-the-philippines/?page=7#comment-203400

Just for you Steve.

Steve, I Think it will come up last Page, so you need to go to the Topic Start:thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, i dont know how i missed this thread.

Frightening it reads,

What we have paid to make Emma dad and her brother comfortable for there lives is worth it, i know another 500,000 peso will make our living quarters wonderful for us to live there forever if that is what we are wanting.

So what i have read so far i am thinking my best bet is to live there and use it as a base for how ever long i can manage that, then just rent long term if the Philippines is where we want to call home.

Bank accounts well they will be here in England but before we leave everything will be in joint accounts for the just incase,

As long as i am fine and Emma is too, the rest can and will look after themselves i am leaning towards .

Thank you again for your help on this matter , you to Dave .

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

What we have paid to make Emma dad and her brother comfortable for there lives is worth it, i know another 500,000 peso will make our living quarters wonderful for us to live there forever if that is what we are wanting.

Ahhh! Now Steve this is where you may get annoyed at all this, Everything you 2 have paid into Dad's House is up for Grabs on his Passing.

The Total will be Divided and equally shared.  Not Good I know I know But that is what Dave may have been getting at. This compulsory Inheritance thing means your Hard earned money Spent on the family Home will be swallowed. Then as I am Finding now, Should all decide to sell the Lot and House, Emms is only going to get her equal Portion, If the family are like Mine are now, they won't sit and say OH but so & so paid in more than us, They will want the value as of Now. NIGHTMARE is the word mate because if they do sell to get Cash, your Home goes with it Unless you buy them all out at the current value but that will be my next Question to Jamie, Can That be Done? 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ahhh! Now Steve this is where you may get annoyed at all this, Everything you 2 have paid into Dad's House is up for Grabs on his Passing.

The Total will be Divided and equally shared.  Not Good I know I know But that is what Dave may have been getting at. This compulsory Inheritance thing means your Hard earned money Spent on the family Home will be swallowed. Then as I am Finding now, Should all decide to sell the Lot and House, Emms is only going to get her equal Portion, If the family are like Mine are now, they won't sit and say OH but so & so paid in more than us, They will want the value as of Now. NIGHTMARE is the word mate because if they do sell to get Cash, your Home goes with it Unless you buy them all out at the current value but that will be my next Question to Jamie, Can That be Done? 

I would not buy any of them out what so ever Jack, so far we have paid under 1 million peso, and if we do complete the top half into our own private living quarters then that would be in total just over the 1 million mark.

Now with Emma working here and paying into our future life it was her wish to build her dads house so he could be safe and secure for the rest of his life, ( i must add it was her sisters wish too ), but they had children and husbands who spends money on there own family first.So Emmas dad went without.

Emma has paid for the house even though its our money and if we did live in it for a year or so our even less, well we have had our monies worth in my eyes, plus it made Emma happy.

But if we dont live in it, well we dont spend the rest of the money on it, plus if we are not there , who looks after the father and once he goes who looks after the brother.

Lots of things to think about and we are not even there yet, i bet there are lots chuckling to themselves thinking, been there done that.