Money and the family

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just thought i would add this , Spain seems to sounds better until Brexit is mentioned :smile:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Just thought i would add this , Spain seems to sounds better until Brexit is mentioned :smile:

Steve, Living in Spain and Visiting are two different things, I lived there for nigh on 20 years and believe me the Bureaucracy there is on Par with here and the Inheritance Laws are so very similar. You mention "Brexit" this will to me, make living there as a Brit, very Hard 

You will need Residency to Buy and Residency for so many things, As a Brit, "Emms will be the Head of the House as a Filipino as far as the Spaniards think. Residency for Brits is a key thing now. Think Long and Hard in considering a Change my Friend, "The Devil you know" comes to mind. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Personal l Stuff I know But...................:whistling: "Brexit" may also affect your Pension rights abroad. :huh:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Steve, Living in Spain and Visiting are two different things, I lived there for nigh on 20 years and believe me the Bureaucracy there is on Par with here and the Inheritance Laws are so very similar. You mention "Brexit" this will to me, make living there as a Brit, very Hard 

You will need Residency to Buy and Residency for so many things, As a Brit, "Emms will be the Head of the House as a Filipino as far as the Spaniards think. Residency for Brits is a key thing now. Think Long and Hard in considering a Change my Friend, "The Devil you know" comes to mind. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Personal l Stuff I know But...................:whistling: "Brexit" may also affect your Pension rights abroad. :huh:

I understand Jack, we have a good few months until we really know where we would like to be, and the Phils is still the top place.

Lots of things still to sort out until then , as long as i am here in England working and saving hard plus seeing the rest of the world on our holidays all is well, the rest should fall into place once we are ready .

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You are not looking at it wrong.  My wife wanted very much to get her parents out of a very undesirable area.  She wanted the new house to be an "ancestral" type home.  A place where the entire family could come together, a place where Papa and Mama could finish out their lives in relative comfort.  I said yes, but with one iron clad condition.  The lot and the house would be in my wife's name, neither Papa or Mama would appear on any of the sale or title process documents.  This caused a little problem with my wife at first because she wanted it to be a gift to them.  I explained that if Papa and Mama owned the place, the fighting over who would get what would start long before they died and last for years afterward.  Yes I/we bought the lot, built the house, and the folks are happy there.  It is a great place for family celebrations, holidays, feasting, etc.  But the family knows that this is my wife's house and her land.  When Papa and Mama are gone we will have to decide what we do with it, but there will definitely not be any siblings who can take a piece of it or expect to be paid some share of the proceeds if we decide to sell it.  My advice is consider what you have done as "water under the bridge".  You did a GOOD THING, but do not expect to get back any portion of what you spent and you will not be disappointed.  

Thanks for your reply Mike,

Water under the bridge seems to get deeper everytime there is a message from the Philippines.

All i want is for Emma to get what she deserves , and hopefully she will get 20% of the land if anything happened to her father, yes it was a good thing that Emma and i did for her father, and yes i still get disappointed on how they treat there sister just because she married someone who they think should pay for all there keep.

After reading the contents of the other thread, i am happy to walk away when the time is right.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

the rest should fall into place once we are ready .

fingers crossed.jpg

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

fingers crossed.jpg

and feet crossed too.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

and feet crossed too.

wallet locked.jpg :thumbsup:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Families at war......Trust me Steve I have had a little taste of this discussion with in-laws.

My wife spent 9 years looking after first her Dad, then her Mum, she took care of them both in later life before we met.

After her Mum died, surviving her father by a few years they all came out the wood work.

First one of their farms was sold and shared, then after we met and married the second farm was sold and divided out, leaving my

wife out (Because she married a foreigner) the family house was rented out for a while till we decided it was in bad repair and had it knocked down.

My wife and I have discussed building a new house on the lot, now we realise to do that everyone else would want a stake in it, so the lot remains empty.

It was agreed that the old house should go to the wife after much discussion, no way am I chancing any future claims, so there it remains empty.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

wallet locked.jpg :thumbsup:

Even Emma has not got the key to this.