Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Time for Duterte to make good on his promise that he is 50 times more ruthless than terrorists and will eat their livers with onions and vinegar.  Actually, I'll supply the fava beans and Chianti.  My twitter post regarding reports of ISIS a couple of weeks ago.  Duterte needs to get rid of the Autonomous Muslim Zone, give them option leave to Malaysia or Indonesia or face death.

Reports of ISIS in PI's

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Sure they are, many of the people our age look back fondly to the days of macros. But like spoiled kids, if authority is not enforsed, they run wild

Right what is the medium?

Okay, I had been thinking about this for some time after I read an article by a local and I think I will start a new topic.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I'm ok and the curfew doesn't affect me as I don't go out in the evening anyway, bit of a home bird me! I'm more concerned for my bro in law, he has a food stall in the night dining area that cannot open until 5pm. No customers for 60 days will put not just him but many others with evening work out of business. Not to mention bars, hotels, restaurants and shopping malls. This curfew, if enforced, will have a serious effect on the economy of Mindanao. Isn't that what the terrorists want? :89:

People protect criminals as long as it doesn't personally inconvenience them. Maybe that is the point? Turn in the terrorists and get your lives and livelihood back?

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

It can be extended and it will be if need be. You can count on it. 

Filipinos are not used to being controlled and disciplined. 

The president just said in an address that it may be extended.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Since my wife decided a couple of months ago to spend this coming Christmas back home Mindanao, I have had an uneasy feeling of accompanying her.

Much as I have always wanted to experience Christmas in Philippines, I have had apprehension about the idea.

Recent event's both here in UK and in Philippines, have now confirmed that I will not join her trip back home.

If my wife still chooses to go, I'm sure I won't rest easy while she is away.

Had the family lived in Luzon or elsewhere I would more then likely gone with her, this World is certainly becoming a dangerous place.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Seal with white background

United States Embassy Manila, Philippines
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:  Mindanao Security Situation
May 24, 2017

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE EMBASSY WARDEN SYSTEM AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD. 

The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens that there is an ongoing conflict between terrorist groups and Philippine Security Forces in Marawi City, Mindanao.  Media reports suggest that there are multiple dead and injured.  On May 23, 2017, the Philippine government declared martial law throughout the Mindanao region for 60 days.  The Philippine National Police (PNP) and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) have been placed on high alert. 

The U.S. Embassy has temporarily suspended Mission personnel travel to Mindanao pending a better understanding of the threat environment.  While the U.S. Embassy has no information that the events in Marawi City represent a direct threat to U.S. citizens or U.S. interests in the Philippines, we encourage U.S. citizens to review personal security plans, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and remain vigilant at all times.

The U.S. Embassy wishes to remind U.S. citizens of the most recent Worldwide Caution, dated March 6, 2017, which indicates there is an ongoing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests abroad, including the Philippines.  Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems–including airlines, and other public venues where large crowds gather. Crowded nightclubs, shopping malls, buses and popular restaurants have also been targets.  U.S. citizens should be mindful of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines‎.
  • Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems–including airlines, and other public venues where large crowds gather. Crowded nightclubs, shopping malls, buses and popular restaurants have also been targets.  U.S. citizens should be mindful of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines‎.

A word to the wise is sufficient, or should be.

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The president just said in an address that it may be extended.

Yeah - he said could be for a year or for a month. I interpret it to mean until he resolves the issue. 

Things have certainly heated up with the taking of a priest and a dozen or so non combatants as hostages. I doubt D8's response will be a gentle one. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/isis-maute-priest-churchgoers-hostage-manila-philippines-a7752436.html%3Famp

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/wireStory/philippine-church-priest-churchgoers-hostage-47601438

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

Sure they are, many of the people our age look back fondly to the days of macros. But like spoiled kids, if authority is not enforsed, they run wild

No, they are not used to being controlled by laws, restrictions, and curfews. Marcos wanted to get things under control by martial law. It was only to be temporary. The law abiding citizens did not have a problem with this. Only the lawless ones rebelled. 

Peoples Power started and the end result was what you have now. Things did not get better. No  president ever did anything to make the Philippines a respectable country. Only political families were created. the poor and uneducated are still here. Whereas, Germany and Japan who lost the war have prospered. Why?  Well, they have good leadership and obedient citizens who want to see their country rise to its potential. 

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

According to the BBC tonight DU30 is eyeing nationwide martial law.

• Like 1