Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Look for BBL in the News soon.

I did and the most recent news story I could find was already a month old.  I will link to it and if you see any newer links please post them.

No budget for agreement

While the government has been spending millions of pesos on military operations against ISIS-linked terrorist groups, the Bangsamoro Transition Council (BTC), which is crafting a draft basic law (in place of the BBL) for the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro, still does not have a budget up to now and its employees have not been paid their salaries.
As the experience with Marcos’ martial law has shown, civilian oversight over the military’s operations tends to weaken during martial law, resulting in grave human rights abuses. In Moro areas, military operations under Duterte’s martial law run a greater risk of inadvertent clashes between government forces and MILF/MNLF fighters. Duterte’s recent order to government troops – “all people who are not authorized by government to carry arms and they resist, kill them, wipe them out” – is most worrisome. It is a well-known fact that many Moros keep their own guns for self-defense and these arms are usually not registered.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/157444/martial-law-right-response-isis-threat#ixzz4kmRU2fK3

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is a well-known fact that many Moros keep their own guns for self-defense and these arms are usually not registered.

The same as many Americans.

Glock.jpg

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 6/22/2017 at 5:12 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

My wife does not refuse as she is from there and her family live there in Mindanao. If fact she will be going back next month for her father's death anniversary. Not all of Mindanao is a war zone. 

On 6/23/2017 at 7:33 AM, mogo51 said:

Obviously you are correct JGF, but that does not stop me making a 'sensible' call and staying away - there are plenty of other places to see in the Philippines that do not have this sort of problem.

Not everyone has family from a safe part of Mindanao, some have family in the middle of the action, some have no family or friends or anything else there. Might be perfectly reasonable for some to go for a visit or continue to live there. Might not be the best choice for a tourist to start wandering around seeing what there is to see.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was ignorant of the geography here.  I assumed Marawi was nearer to Zambo or Gen San, but it is way up north.  100 km to CDO and, as the crow flies, only 150 km to Dumaguete.

Clinton News Network was just reporting the 300,000 people are displaced and the city is a wreck.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I was ignorant of the geography here.  I assumed Marawi was nearer to Zambo or Gen San, but it is way up north.  100 km to CDO and, as the crow flies, only 150 km to Dumaguete.

Clinton News Network was just reporting the 300,000 people are displaced and the city is a wreck.

And 387 dead. 4 men were caught with 30 million pesos in boxes leaving CDO heading to Cebu. They said that they were bankers, maybe not related to the crisis. I am surprised that this is going on for so long. Must have been prepared.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/2017/06/27/4-men-p30-m-cash-intercepted-oro-port-549706

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

And Iligan city is only 40 minutes drive away from Marawi !

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Davao City is not very far from the action. They already have an evacuation centre here on the outskirts. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 28/06/2017 at 10:20 AM, Gratefuled said:

Davao City is not very far from the action. They already have an evacuation centre here on the outskirts. 

On 27/06/2017 at 11:13 AM, Kuya John said:

I would feel safer in Davao. (Dabaw)..mindanao map.jpg (JPEG Image, 515 × 386 pixels)

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kuya John said:

I would feel safer in Davao. (Dabaw)..mindanao map.jpg (JPEG Image, 515 × 386 pixels)

Good Morning John, No I am not in fear of the action going on up in Marawi. I feel reasonably safe here. 

With that said I might add that Muslim extremists are a lot like the Viet Cong were during the Vietnam war.  They are civilians and do not wear uniforms. There are many Muslim families living in Davao City and surrounding areas. Many of which might embrace the cause of the radical extremists. 

I used to feel safe going out at night alone but my wife cautions me about the danger I can be facing. 

Best to play it safe until I can GTF outta this place.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2017 at 1:40 AM, ITGeek said:

One can't help but wonder the timing of the attack and DU30's visit to Russia.  This is the same time Trump's phone call to DU30 was leaked.  I can't stress enough about how one can easily connect the events to the US Deep State ("Black Hats").  There's quite a bit of foreign influence in the Muslim Autonomous Region and it's certainly not the Chinese.  Like Trump, DU30 is not paranoid if everyone is out to get them.

All I can say is the best course of action would be for DU30 to rip up that treaty and "occupy" the region with troops and all mosques and imams must register with the local government.  I don't see the 95% of Christians in the Philippines killing imams, Muslims and burning down mosques.  If the 5% of Philippines want to practice their "religion of peace", then they better step up and prove it by purging the scum among them.

I personally have Muslim friends who had to flee Iran in the early 1980's after the Ayatollah's took over.  Sadly, what you see in Muslim countries when the fundamentalists and extremists take over, are the educated and professionals flee.  The ones left are the poor and uneducated who become easily radicalized.

Sad but true no doubt, that is exactly what is happening.  But it is not the world's problem, it must be sorted within themselves.

One thing is for sure, this insurgency in Marawi must be sorted one way or the other before it spreads like a cancer.

• Like 5