Crime Attitudes from a Filipina Perspective

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

My thoughts exactly.The guy went onto their property so i`n`t that trespass.

Generally for it to be trespass in the US the property must be posted and you must ask them to leave and they fail to do so, then it is solidly trespass. Taking the flyers, although of small value and throwing them in the street? Petty theft/destruction of property/littering? Pick the one that fits your fancy. We are just talking about a ride to Detox and an evaluation, not a life sentence. The point of Detox is you aren't under arrest, more like temporary protective custody and they are released with no fine, no court appearance and consequently, little paperwork.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

If it`s like the UK the paperwork the police have to do is horrendous.They can spend a whole shift and overtime doing it.I am not condoning laziness but we all want them to do serious crimes until we get a problem.

Then, something should be done to reduce the paperwork and put the guy in jail and off the street. Seems like lawbreakers get more breaks than law abiding citizens.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, robert k said:

Generally for it to be trespass in the US the property must be posted and you must ask them to leave and they fail to do so, then it is solidly trespass. Taking the flyers, although of small value and throwing them in the street? Petty theft/destruction of property/littering? Pick the one that fits your fancy. We are just talking about a ride to Detox and an evaluation, not a life sentence.

Getting the drunk away from the people he is annoying should be a priority.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Then, something should be done to reduce the paperwork and put the guy in jail and off the street. Seems like lawbreakers get more breaks than law abiding citizens.

I think you will find the victim some times becomes the bad guy.Yes the lawbreakers get more than the victims.Sometimes the justice system is just  too mamby pamby with violators of the law.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Getting the drunk away from the people he is annoying should be a priority.

Well you would think so but there are too many do-gooders who will disagree.It never seems to happen to them unfortunately.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well you would think so but there are too many do-gooders who will disagree.It never seems to happen to them unfortunately.

It also depends on how the arresting officer handles the problem. He could make it worse by beating the drunk into unconsciousness or he could ask for assistance from another officer to take the drunk under control.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

First off - Please I am really not trying to be a dick.

As you can see from my profile I am from the USA and spent the first 63 years of my life there.  It is very common to hear comments of "police are not doing their job", "the police arrest them but the courts let them go", and other remarks of a similar vain.  Certainly everyone deserves an opinion but what are the facts?  Below are four democratic countries that have similar demographics and living standards as the USA.   USA has the second highest rate of people locked up in the entire world (not just the democratic countries, ALL countries).  Is it really fair and/or accurate to criticize police and the courts for not doing their job?  Again - not trying to be dick here, but I have to believe whatever problems the USA have will not be cured by locking up more and more people.  Perhaps more productive questions for discussion are "Why are there so many people locked up in the USA compared to similar countries?  Is the USA trying to cure the "symptoms" of crime while other countries are trying to cure the "cause" of crime?"  Food for thought. 

Worldwide prison ranking based on the percentage of population in prison.

Rank  Country & rate

2    USA 666/100,000 

92   Australia 162/100,000

103 United Kingdom 145/100,000

141 Canada 114/100,000

Data Source: http://www.prisonstudies.org/highest-to-lowest/prison_population_rate?field_region_taxonomy_tid=All

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Why are there so many people locked up in the USA compared to similar countries?

In Canada, a crazy immigrant chopped off some guy's head on a Greyhound bus 8 or 9 years back.  He has already been through the system, tried, convicted, sentenced, done his time, and got released on condition that he be a good boy and take his meds from now on.

It sounds crazy but it seems to me that the reason more people are locked up in the US is; Other countries get people through the system, "rehabilitated", and released faster than the US does.  For some reason, keeping people in jail for long periods of time is teaching them to be better criminals rather than rehabilitating them so it seems you get lifelong offenders rather than rehabilitated citizens.

Such is my "off the cuff" opinion on that.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Such is my "off the cuff" opinion on that.

There are a lot of sociologists and criminologists in the USA that are in complete agreement with you.  

robert k
Posted
Posted

More than 90 percent of foreign-born federal prison inmates are illegal ...

From the Washington Examiner.