Crime Attitudes from a Filipina Perspective

davewe
Posted
Posted

Interesting to get up this morning and read all the wide ranging comments. My real point was not to debate the varied attitudes towards crime, property ownership, or just how we should handle the crazies out there (in the US) but the interesting and amusing world of the Filipina.

My city is considered progressive and the homeless are allowed free reign in most of it. I have dealt with the police often enough to have known what the cop would and would not do. He did his job and went back and ultimately convinced the guy to take a ride with him. I'm well aware there are some states where the attitude would be different.

My wife is just as pissed off at our neighbor as she is at the young man. The concept that I don't own the sidewalks, let alone the streets in front of my home escapes her.

The change when we move to the Philippines will be very interesting!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, davewe said:

Interesting to get up this morning and read all the wide ranging comments. My real point was not to debate the varied attitudes towards crime, property ownership, or just how we should handle the crazies out there (in the US) but the interesting and amusing world of the Filipina.

My city is considered progressive and the homeless are allowed free reign in most of it. I have dealt with the police often enough to have known what the cop would and would not do. He did his job and went back and ultimately convinced the guy to take a ride with him. I'm well aware there are some states where the attitude would be different.

My wife is just as pissed off at our neighbor as she is at the young man. The concept that I don't own the sidewalks, let alone the streets in front of my home escapes her.

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood thinking your topic was general lawlessness.

My wife after living here in the US for nearly 20 years doesn't agree with the degree of freedom we allow crazy people or drug addled zombies she thinks they should all be permanently incarcerated 

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, davewe said:

.......My real point was not to debate the varied attitudes towards crime, property ownership, or just how we should handle the crazies out there (in the US) but the interesting and amusing world of the Filipina.

My general observation of the typical Filipina is a "bahala na" attitude.  Most are timid or shy, most prefer to suffer in silence.  I mentioned this a long time ago where many Filipinas worship Mother Mary where suffering is practically a virtue.....to suffer in silence so to speak.  

I think that more and more Filipinas that are exposed to western values or culture, then they are prone to speak out to the point they may be reaching for the nearest bolo knife -- she is protecting home and family at all cost.  When that happens, you might consider moving to another county or province.....he, he.  

Hence, my dog house has been customized over the years.  I don't even want to be near ground zero.

Respectfully Jake, good boy ako

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Way I see it, you gotta love a woman who will reach for the bolo to protect her home and family. The women in my family are like that. 

But it is advisable to evacuate the premises if you come within swinging range.....

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

My mother was very good with a pistol. Dad always kept an assortment of firearms. Yes, at home they were always put away safely so children did not have access to them. My sisters learned how to use and care for a pistol when they were teen agers. 

Dad was a WW2 US Army vet and served in the Pacific, New Guinea and the Philippines. He taught us boys how to break down a pistol and clean it. Hence, we learned a lot from dad. My brothers and I all have firearms. 

I know that neither mom nor any of my sisters would think twice about using a pistol if felt threatened. Neither has ever had to. 

Here in the Philippines, my wife has a 38 that her father gave her. I don't know if she would use it. Its kept at home. I don't even want to carry it for fear of being caught with it by PNP. So, I try to stay away from potential trouble spots. 

As a foreigner, I do not feel threatened. I do not wear expensive clothes or flash a lot of money around.  I blend in with the locals pretty good since I have a dark tan and dark hair and wear a baseball cap, most of the time.

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, davewe said:

I grew up in Beaverton and went to Portland State University so I am familiar with the area (at least when I was young).  Even then Oregon, and Portland in particular was considered to be a progressive city and state.  I remember with fondness Governor Tom McCall who, even when dying of cancer, fought to implement the first "bottle deposit" law in the USA.  Also how Oregon was the only state in the nation to support Senator Eugene McCarthy in his run for president in 1968.  I moved to Yakima, Washington in my middle thirties, a much more rural setting.  Yakima is where my filipina wife spent here 8 years in the USA.  You experience may differ, but my wife gets incredibly frustrated with life here in the Philippines compared to the USA.  As regards the items you specified she has some real "rants".  People parking however, where ever, and when ever they want.  That is just how it is here, at least where we live and most of the places we go.  Laying down a tarp to dry rice in one lane of a two lane road is a very common site here.  As far as homeless wanders are concerned it is mostly the beggars that seem to be a problem.  You do see the occasional person who appears to be a shabu addict wandering, ranting, etc, but not often and increasingly rare with DU30 war on drugs.  Unless you live in a gated community you can expect someone coming by on a regular basis to buy something or just asking for a handout.  The "ber" months can be a bit frustrating as you get many people every day singing carols at the gate wanting coins.  In short - my wife very much misses the "order" of the USA.  When I say that I mean that generally speaking people in the USA are much better about following rules.  You stay in your lane, you don't park in the middle of the road, you don't block someones driveway, you don't cut the line, you don't put up a stall on the sidewalk so people have to walk in the street, when you build you follow zoning laws, unattended property is not an invitation to steal.  I could go on, but you probably get the idea.

My wife talks often about wanting to move back to the USA.  I tell she will have to go without me or wait until I die.  The people, at least those I come in contact with, are warm, friendly, outgoing, and accepting.  Every nation I think will have both good and bad points.  I love the Philippines "warts and all" and have no plans or intention of ever leaving.

I think you are spot on when you say it "will be very interesting".  I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I think you are spot on when you say it "will be very interesting".  I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. :thumbsup:

You have a "calling". that's what makes you different. Mother Teresa had the same calling. Good Luck and God Bless you and your tolerance and ministry. 

California is calling me but my wife has a personal commitment first to her parents. Tim then, I have to tolerate the cars parking on the sidewalks, the vendors taking up the sidewalk where I have to walk n the street. The crazy drivers both cars and motorcycles, and the trash everywhere you look. I've had to suck it up and adjust ( assimilate) into Philippine culture. Ok, not all. I still will not eat Balut , dried fish, Durian, chicken feet or chicken heads to name a few.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2017 at 7:12 AM, Mike J said:

First off - Please I am really not trying to be a dick.

As you can see from my profile I am from the USA and spent the first 63 years of my life there.  It is very common to hear comments of "police are not doing their job", "the police arrest them but the courts let them go", and other remarks of a similar vain.  Certainly everyone deserves an opinion but what are the facts?  Below are four democratic countries that have similar demographics and living standards as the USA.   USA has the second highest rate of people locked up in the entire world (not just the democratic countries, ALL countries).  Is it really fair and/or accurate to criticize police and the courts for not doing their job?  Again - not trying to be dick here, but I have to believe whatever problems the USA have will not be cured by locking up more and more people.  Perhaps more productive questions for discussion are "Why are there so many people locked up in the USA compared to similar countries?  Is the USA trying to cure the "symptoms" of crime while other countries are trying to cure the "cause" of crime?"  Food for thought. 

Worldwide prison ranking based on the percentage of population in prison.

Rank  Country & rate

2    USA 666/100,000 

92   Australia 162/100,000

103 United Kingdom 145/100,000

141 Canada 114/100,000

Data Source: http://www.prisonstudies.org/highest-to-lowest/prison_population_rate?field_region_taxonomy_tid=All

You left off the Philippines No. 108 - Mr. DU30 is trying to rise on the list and doing a good job.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think my wife is going to struggle when we move to the Philippines fulltime in 2 1/2 years. A mixture of 20+ years in the UK and not suffering fools lightly.:pow:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 24/05/2017 at 11:50 PM, robert k said:

The cops could subdue, cuff and transport to detox...if they had any interest in doing their job

I don't know about other states but suspect they are the same as Maryland.  The detox facilities closed back in the 80's.  Drunk and disorderly are now civil citations.  Written like a traffic ticket and sent on your way.  Trespassing,..only if they refuse to move on after ordered by the police.

• Like 2