Crime Attitudes from a Filipina Perspective

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I beleive in the UK for trespassing to stick you need to have caused damage.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike J said:

I grew up in Beaverton and went to Portland State University so I am familiar with the area (at least when I was young).  Even then Oregon, and Portland in particular was considered to be a progressive city and state.  I remember with fondness Governor Tom McCall who, even when dying of cancer, fought to implement the first "bottle deposit" law in the USA.  Also how Oregon was the only state in the nation to support Senator Eugene McCarthy in his run for president in 1968.  I moved to Yakima, Washington in my middle thirties, a much more rural setting.  Yakima is where my filipina wife spent here 8 years in the USA.  You experience may differ, but my wife gets incredibly frustrated with life here in the Philippines compared to the USA.  As regards the items you specified she has some real "rants".  People parking however, where ever, and when ever they want.  That is just how it is here, at least where we live and most of the places we go.  Laying down a tarp to dry rice in one lane of a two lane road is a very common site here.  As far as homeless wanders are concerned it is mostly the beggars that seem to be a problem.  You do see the occasional person who appears to be a shabu addict wandering, ranting, etc, but not often and increasingly rare with DU30 war on drugs.  Unless you live in a gated community you can expect someone coming by on a regular basis to buy something or just asking for a handout.  The "ber" months can be a bit frustrating as you get many people every day singing carols at the gate wanting coins.  In short - my wife very much misses the "order" of the USA.  When I say that I mean that generally speaking people in the USA are much better about following rules.  You stay in your lane, you don't park in the middle of the road, you don't block someones driveway, you don't cut the line, you don't put up a stall on the sidewalk so people have to walk in the street, when you build you follow zoning laws, unattended property is not an invitation to steal.  I could go on, but you probably get the idea.

My wife talks often about wanting to move back to the USA.  I tell she will have to go without me or wait until I die.  The people, at least those I come in contact with, are warm, friendly, outgoing, and accepting.  Every nation I think will have both good and bad points.  I love the Philippines "warts and all" and have no plans or intention of ever leaving.

I think you are spot on when you say it "will be very interesting".  I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. :thumbsup:

I am sure my wife will have another adjustment in moving back to the Philippines. It will have only been 4 years here in the US for her and that should make a difference. Bottom line is I am older and more tolerant; she is younger and more volatile. I recognize that there are crazies everywhere, people who will park wherever they want or drive in whatever manner they want - everywhere. I'm the driver in the family; my wife is the one yelling at the other drivers. She thinks drivers are terrible here and when I remind her they aren't too good in the Philippines, she rejects that. I suspect she's just used to the Philippines' crazy way more than the American crazy way. Personally, I assume that everyone on the road except for me is a lousy driver and I act accordingly; I am rarely proved wrong lol.

So my guess is that after we move, I will be tolerant and try to adjust. She will rail at what she doesn't like; and I will love her for it!

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

I don't know about other states but suspect they are the same as Maryland.  The detox facilities closed back in the 80's.  Drunk and disorderly are now civil citations.  Written like a traffic ticket and sent on your way.  Trespassing,..only if they refuse to move on after ordered by the police.

The US is a big place. Some locales make people turn in license plates when their registration expires, others don't. The police still have a detox where I am, and a good thing, it is really effective at preventing crime.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

I am sure my wife will have another adjustment in moving back to the Philippines. It will have only been 4 years here in the US for her and that should make a difference. Bottom line is I am older and more tolerant; she is younger and more volatile. I recognize that there are crazies everywhere, people who will park wherever they want or drive in whatever manner they want - everywhere. I'm the driver in the family; my wife is the one yelling at the other drivers. She thinks drivers are terrible here and when I remind her they aren't too good in the Philippines, she rejects that. I suspect she's just used to the Philippines' crazy way more than the American crazy way. Personally, I assume that everyone on the road except for me is a lousy driver and I act accordingly; I am rarely proved wrong lol.

So my guess is that after we move, I will be tolerant and try to adjust. She will rail at what she doesn't like; and I will love her for it!

While I think all drivers here are courtois, kind, brave clean and reverent.

I will agree that all but me and several others on tracks are crazy and should be zapped with the ray gun I carry.

My friends here may don their tin foil hats to escape the effects.

You are also correct that detox works..........just look @ me :Caught:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, davewe said:

I think you and I may have very similar relationships with our respective asawa. :smile: