Martial Law fall out

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A new thread asking advice from those old school guys that have been through Martial Law previously. How did Martial Law affect the issuing of visas, banking and property? No doubt the Peso will plummet as will property values. Will Embassies recommend us leaving the country thus affecting insurance policies if we don't?

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

I was stationed at Clark from 77-80 and the Peso at the time was P7.2 to the dollar. So I don't think that ML is going to affect the current exchange rate. I can't comment on the affect it had on Visas, but there was no changes to banking or property. A high number of the bars were owned by retired military guys, but that has changed since 1991 when the military left. The only change that affected some people was having to be off the streets by midnight. So no real change for expats, but the locals that like to cause problems may not like the new rules.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have marshall law in Thailand for the past 3 years. It has not affected the currency value greatly, although it has dropped to some degree, but for issues other than military law. Such as poor governance, lack of economic ability on the part of the military and emergence of 'Nationalistic' policies.

The military government here uses the same advertising company regarding its financial situation as China, ie it lies and gives misinformation.

There appears to be an underlying dislike for 'farangs' (non Thais) in this country that is growing. Greater restrictions on visas, more stringent reporting conditions of Visa holders and more stringent financial requirements for visa holders.

I have been advised indirectly through Embassy sources that there is to be a complete overhaul of the current 'retirement visa', that will disqualify many retirees from holding such visa in Thailand. So far no official announcement, but I am assured it is coming soon. Whilst SO and I were eventually headed for Philippines, the current situation has hastened our decision.

Many long term Thailand expats are leaving for other countries such as Philippine, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I don't know the full extent of how martial law works. I know that the military gets involved and I know there are curfews.

What I don't know is when is curfew hour. Is it at dusk (sundown) or a certain time? Does the military ( army) have authority to make arrests? Here in the Philippines under President Duterte, I am quite certain that the military has the freedom to shoot violators. I've seen auxiliary police on duty here in Davao but I think they are just being used for traffic and crowd control. They do not carry weapons.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Habeas corpus has been lifted/suspended. Likely in Mindanao only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_habeas_corpus_cases

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If the curfew is implemented too early in the evening the workers will have a hard time getting home.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

If the curfew is implemented too early in the evening the workers will have a hard time getting home.

That's what I was thinking. A curfew will hurt businesses that traditionally stay open till 10 PM like the malls. Not to mention restaurants and other places.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

That's what I was thinking. A curfew will hurt businesses that traditionally stay open till 10 PM like the malls. Not to mention restaurants and other places.

We have a member here who's BIL has a Food cart business and normally operates from 5pm, Now that is a Total loss

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Not to mention restaurants and other places.

You cant make an omelet etc etc

• Like 1