Cockroaches Bite

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

All kidding aside Dave, you need to watch that bite like jpbago suggested.  I ended up with cellulitis of the left hand that the doctor suggested may have started with a insect/spider/cockroach bite.  The hand swelled to the size of a boxing glove.  It took two weeks of high powered antibiotics and an additional two weeks for swelling to go down.  The doctor told me if the infection had gotten into the bone or tendons it could lead to amputation. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The hand swelled to the size of a boxing glove.

I appreciate the concern but there is no indication of any residual effect.  I think I was lucky I got bit in the head.  Not much left to damage up there that the alcohol in my youth did not already take care of.

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I am sure that you know this but any type of food, even the smallest crumb, will attract ants and cockroaches in to that room.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I am sure that you know this but any type of food, even the smallest crumb, will attract ants and cockroaches in to that room.

It bears repeating. I had some local friends with a rat problem. One was bitten on the finger, the other, an infant, bitten on the mouth. I set traps and told them you must wash your hands and face after you eat because the rats smell the food.

• Like 5

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 26/05/2017 at 9:37 PM, Happyhorn52 said:

Wow, I find that hard to believe. I have been Angeles a little over two months and have killed two inside my hotel room and have seen a dozen more outside my unit.

Maybe I am lucky but as said never a cockroach in my accommodation, doubt all you like, I have no reason to lie. over 18 months living there in hotels, resorts, our condo and parents house no cockies, I have seen them from time to time scurrying from the street drains and back again but never in house. Perhaps buy some cockroach traps as we do in Oz, update as required, if you forget they invade again. I am more worried about gecko's and tree frogs getting into A/C units and frying P.C.B.s,,,,,,,, or dead smells,,,,,,, from another post. As someone else mentioned keep clean and the problem will be reduced or eliminated. Will be interesting to see if our new house there suffers this problem, another challenge that can be fixed. BTW perhaps ask hotel management for a couple of roach traps, see if it helps.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bigpearl said:

never in house

I have been in many hotels and rental houses in Philippines where I have not seen cockroaches.

BUT in many of the rental houses, when the gf did a thorough cleaning, she usually found an infestation of cockroaches somewhere.  They just hide well and stay in the dark until there are too many of them and all the good hiding places are taken :Caught:

As to the hotels with no roaches, I always hope that they simply have good quality pest control, but its also possible there are roaches hiding.  If I am only staying a short time I definitely don't go seeking them out.  I only notice the ones who come out and make themselves obvious.

Thus I believe its quite easy to stay in many houses and hotels without ever seeing a cockroach, especially if you are not actively seeking them out.

Another problem I have had, in rural areas, is snakes coming in the house.  The follow the mice/rats.  So if you get mice or rats in the house you have to do a thorough cleaning (using bleach) of everywhere they have been so the snakes don't come in on the trail of a mouse.  NOTE this is only in rural areas.  Very few snakes in the cities so don't get too worried.  I have only seen 2 live ones and a half dozen dead ones in 3 1/2 years of living in and around Dumaguete. (And they were not it anyone's house.)

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Our biggest problem was with ants. Once in awhile i would see a lone roach which i would spray right away. Ants would be everywhere in the Kitchen and food cupboards. We had the local exterminator treat around the perimeter of the house and they disappeared for over a year now. They will be back i know. I see a few geko lizards and if i can catch them i usually throw them outside far away. I see snake in the back garden once and i know they are around. No rats or mice.

We try to keep the area as clean as possible and we have screen on the windows and doors. Hate house flies and mosquitoes. Because of the warm climate house pests multiply easily so we try to stay on top of this.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Get some rubbing alcohol and put in spray bottle if ya wanna "hold my beer 'n watch this" entertainment, and get a good splash on one.  They start melting or something and saw a couple flip over on back squirmin' and dyin'. It apparently destroys their exoskeleton and causes a slow painful death, but Die they do! Yeah I get bored sometimes when staying at family home in barrio in Caloocan.  

You're one sick Marine but I like it!  Respectfully Jake, retired navy puke

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2017 at 10:55 AM, Happyhorn52 said:

Have you tried using a shoe. No chemical smell to deal with

Just a mop to wipe up the mess.

• Like 3