Is the gamble of living in the Philippines worth the rewards?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Live and enjoy the now, refuse to let the 'maybes' bring your spirits down.

Be aware, be vigilant, but don't worry... be happy.

Hey Steve, is this not what we are saying? The maybes we can't control ( They are in reality a negative) the Positives, we can control if we just let our minds wander a little?

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

"you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave"

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am not always happy here.  Then I go back to Canada for a month and cannot wait to get back here.

Don't know what you got till it's gone

I'm happy when I am back here with my wife but I do NOT miss the Philippines. NOT AT ALL

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Queenie, I think you have mentioned that your husband is Filipino and you live among his relatives. so, I can understand why he is happy here. The same happiness applies to my wife and her parents. She is used to life here. Hong Kong was the first time out of the Philippines for her and she was amazed at the difference. The traffic and how they obeyed the rules. How the bus stopped ONLY at designated places. The efficiency of how business was conducted. So, I am sure she would also be amazed at the quality of life that she could have in southern California. A world of difference. The recent events that have occurred here only about 150 miles from us gets her nervous. So, she has agreed to get her visa and I will begin processing it shortly. 

I wish I could say that I am as happy as you and others are here but sorry I cannot. 

I can imagine things have gotten more difficult for you folks down there with recent happenings. Happiness is something I work on here, but yes I'm pretty happy I guess. I'll never match my husband's joy!:smile:

No reason to be sorry--life here is surely not for everyone. I think your wife will enjoy her new adventure in the US! Best wishes as you all prepare to make a change.:smile:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

I really enjoyed reading your post Queenie, as well as excellent contributions from Jack and Steve.  You really got to the essence of day to day life in another country.  Whilst I have spent 8 years in Thailand, soon thankfully, we will be in Philippines.  I have been there many times, so have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but it is never fully understood until you are domiciled in a country - that is a reality.

From what I have seen and read on this great forum, there is little difference between the two countries Thailand/Philippines.  Thailand has better infrastructure and I have met some great people here (some but not a lot).  The attitude towards Farangs (westerners) here is very different to Phils from my experience.  Here we are 'tolerated', there we seem to be somewhat 'accepted' and I have always enjoyed my time there.  Yes, some in public utility positions can be a bit testing, but that is how it is everywhere it seems.  On our last trip there, we were catching a Ferry on two occasions.  Both times, I was beckoned forth and told as I was a Senior, I did not need to stand in line (now I am not sure that I was totally pleased at being classified as a 'Senior' but at least there are benefits).

We watch CNN Philippines here regularly, there is nothing like that in Thailand from any local stations.  The prevalence of English there makes it much easier.

I admit to having the odd reflection on my homeland and whether I made the right choice, but overall, it has been an interesting journey.  I am hoping the next leg will be even better.

Just one question, do you have to report regularly to Immigration there?  Here in Thailand, it is every 90 days.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are fairly well off it could be.  The people with absolutely no money tend to agree with a lot of the negative things you have mentioned in the past.  Remember this quote:

There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

Perhaps those of us that choose to stay and live here should be grateful that the Philippines is NOT a paradise.  I say that because people have a tendency to want to "improve" paradise to make it more profitable.

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
And put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half to seem 'em

Has anyone else noticed that posts from Hounddriver can push your thinking in a new direction allowing you see things that you otherwise may have not considered?  Thanks Dave. :smile:

• Like 3