Living the dream, paying for that dream

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I know there have been lots of threads about the cost of this dream also savings and how much we may need to live this dream, also could be a nightmare for a few too.

We are different in our wants and needs and how much we may need to live a happy life.

I can only write about myself on here and i have read lots of advice and others dreams on here and other threads and it amazes me that people still need to invest in this and that to try to get that extra income coming in , but for what.???

Do you not have enough to support yourself already, have you retired from work before you saved lots of cash to support you all your life or have you just spent it on drink and loose women , or has prices gone up so much your dream is now a working holiday.

I have worked since i left school age 17, a laborer most of my life and now into management or in my eyes a laborer who does everything and more.

But i have saved and saved some more, i am not into stocks and shares and investment but i have a few thousand in there as that was suggested  when i got a divorce and yes they have done well so far, Cash is king for me and while i know with the exchange rates around the world cash can go up and down too.

But i would hate to think that my investments where most of my capitol is in could be lost forever, but it could go up too.

Is it greed do you think when people who are retiring and know they have enough to last the rest of there lives just want that extra for the just in case.

Like i have said we are all different in what we are wanting and maybe you are wanting to make the future for the rest of the family or even your own kids, but what happens if you loose most of it, what then happens to the kids then,

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

One thing that I have noticed over the last 10 years is the constant inflation (especially starts around the holidays, then retreats partially a month later).

https://tradingeconomics.com/philippines/inflation-cpi

Edited by jon1
  • Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

they have enough to last the rest of there lives just want that extra for the just in case.

Surely it is a wise person that has a fall back plan or in this case a pot of cash for an emergency, be that family or personal.

1 hour ago, stevewool said:

investments where most of my capitol is in could be lost forever

If invested wisely and in low risk not high risk, structured notes for example it would be pretty rare to loose your investment.  Indeed many are structured such that as a minimum your initial capital investment in the product is returned.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Steve as you and I recently experienced, nothing in life is guaranteed.

A man/woman can save all their life for retirement and have the dream taken away from them.

I remember my dad telling my sister that her and her husband were putting a millstone round their necks, when taking out a mortgage!

They went on to buy a nursing home and never looked back, they are happily living their retirement in comfort.

As my good walking friend Bruce would say....turn to the left failure, turn to the right success. Nobody can predict the future.

My parent's never owned a brick, but it never stopped me from eventually owning my own home. Do I worry about losing it all by making the wrong decision,you bet I do, but life is a gamble which ever way you look at it.

My advice alway's have a back up plan and remember we all come into this life with nothing and we go out with the same.

(Don't count your ducklings before they hatch :chickendance:)

Indeed John, i do like the last bit me duck.:hystery:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

Surely it is a wise person that has a fall back plan or in this case a pot of cash for an emergency, be that family or personal.

If invested wisely and in low risk not high risk, structured notes for example it would be pretty rare to loose your investment.  Indeed many are structured such that as a minimum your initial capital investment in the product is returned.

I must be wise then as i have so many back up plans for the just in case that happens and the just in case for the just in case lets me down too.

The investment thingy well i have no idea about where and when about stocks and shares, so i will leave it be, each to there own i say,

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

It is wise to be prepared for emergencies. The question is when does being wise turn into an excuse to delay due to fear? Many have missed that distinction and saved until they were no longer able to travel or enjoy retirement.

19 months and then the time we had both set from day one will be upon us.

All this talk about going before was me alone, but Emma has held me to the promise we made all that time ago, and yes time has flown by so quickly.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, stevewool said:

19 months and then the time we had both set from day one will be upon us.

All this talk about going before was me alone, but Emma has held me to the promise we made all that time ago, and yes time has flown by so quickly.

Ah yes, that was the 10 year plan wasn't it? Will that also put Emma 'in country' for 10 years? (I don't remember how long she has been there). If/when we go to the US there is an incentive for us staying 10 years also. It is the time period she needs to work in the US to qualify for her own Social Security. For us, saving for retirement isn't the issue, it is taking care of her after I check out. The other option is a 5 year stay so she can get US citizenship which brings blue passport privileges, easier access to spousal benefits including survivor benefits, etc.

• Like 1