S & R Supermarkets

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My neighbour spends a great deal of time in Philipinnes, he was stationed at Clark many years ago and knows the area well. 

He was telling me the other day about the S&R supermarket that opened a few years ago in Pampanga, it is the same concept as Cosco, which has just started to emerge in Australia.  I have never been in one.

I have had many say they are way cheaper, some less glowing in their opinions.  Any members shop at these Manila/Pampanga stores and if so, what is your experience?

Wondering whether imported stuff is cheaper?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Just now, mogo51 said:

My neighbour spends a great deal of time in Philipinnes, he was stationed at Clark many years ago and knows the area well. 

He was telling me the other day about the S&R supermarket that opened a few years ago in Pampanga, it is the same concept as Cosco, which has just started to emerge in Australia.  I have never been in one.

I have had many say they are way cheaper, some less glowing in their opinions.  Any members shop at these Manila/Pampanga stores and if so, what is your experience?

I have been to the one in Mandaue/Cebu city and I didn`t find it any cheaper than SM hypermart just down the road.Best thing Ron is just try it on somebody elses card if you can find somebody who will go with you.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

I have been to the one in Mandaue/Cebu city and I didn`t find it any cheaper than SM hypermart just down the road.Best thing Ron is just try it on somebody elses card if you can find somebody who will go with you.

Thanks Kev.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

We shop there all the time. As Kev said the prices for products are very close to SM on the items they both stock. Having said that IMHO they do have a larger selection of imported items, however I think it is more oriented to the American items. Examples, tamales, bushes baked beans, USA pork and beans, frozen burritos, pace piquant sauce, family size chips ahoy cookies, stuff like that. They also have a freezer full of Australian beef products. And as has been said many times, the best New York style pizza in the country :hystery: again in my opinion. It is based on the cost co. model, large sizes and most items displayed on pallets.

My bottom line is my yearning for certain foods went way down once we discovered this place.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

Scott H got the bingo. Not price but selection.

Such places aren't much cheaper in the US either, there are many articles on what not to buy, but on certain items in bulk you can save.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

No, not cheaper but you have a better selection of imported food. S & R is best suited for large families, people who shop once a month and for some who have small stores where they can resell the items to non members  at a higher price. 

700 Pesos for annual membership. Membership also entitles one to eat their fast food which is not bad. 

I just shop there when in the area. In Davao City it is across the street from Swiss cafe. 

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm in love with S&R Mogo!  I can find just about every food craving item and ones I'd forgotten about.:smile: I agree that most imported items lean towards American brands, but not all.  I find that the imported beef, pork and lamb are pretty reasonably priced, and of good quality. The dairy is excellent, but some cheeses are little more than I'm willing to spend.  As far as fruits and vegetables go, I think that their prices are a little lower than other similar supermarkets, and the quality and freshness is much higher.  It's good if possible to go in there with a list if you're doing a lot of shopping though, and try not to give in to impulse buying too much. Things can add up pretty quickly.

I've noticed lately when shopping at SM Hypermarket or Rustan's in Mandaue City, that their imported items have dwindled somewhat, as has their quality. I wonder if they are feeling the pinch of people buying items at S &R instead?

In the same vein, a new S&R box type store has opened in Cebu City, called Landers Superstore. It's 800 pesos to join, but appears to be a little more upmarket. Supposedly there's an in-house barbershop where members can avail of a free haircut. There's a bakery and similar restaurant to S&R too.  Has anyone gone there, or are there other branches in other areas of the Philippines? I couldn't really justify belonging to both stores, but I'm tempted..:smile:

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/132202/landers-superstore-opens-cebu

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I love S&R , its a treat for me as the first thing we do is eat, my fav is the Garlic prawn pizza

And never ending coke. Yes its a bulk buy store and you have to watch the prices .

But there sliced ham, and peppered beef may be expensive but its worth every peso.

And they sell southern comfort, and colombian coffee that actually tastes like coffee.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would endorse this Kev, many items are in fact more expensive than supermarkets, even though  at times bargains can be found. Also have bought a few wines not available elsewhere, what annoys me is, often one returns just a week or so later for a particular product that in many cases is no longer available.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We just got an S&R in Iloilo recently.  I was really hoping for a more varied foreigner selection.  It is better than the other grocers but not what I was expecting.   Some of the stuff is cheaper, some not. They are the only place I have seen real pickles and the giant jar is only p300 (1 gallon?). They have a great liquor section... and lots of free samples :tiphat:

• Like 3