Trip to the dentist

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Wondering now if  she might have a glass eye that I don't know about.

Watch out for that.  If you don't know about the glass eye then maybe she's keeping an eye out for somebody else. :whistling:

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Once over there Emma would like a brace fitted, i wonder what that will cost , but i am assured its much more cheaper then it would be here in England.

Bengie's niece. They (family) called her the Piranha sad but true, (heartless so and so's)  scorned as she was (truly her teeth were nasty) we obliged with PHP40K and 3 years later her teeth are perfect, her confidence shines, a beautiful young woman (just passed her nurses exams) who with her vibrance and new found confidence will go far. 6 to 8 times the price in Oz.

Bengie and I visit our dentist annually in San Fernando City and at under a tenth of the cost in Oz why should we not? Most Asian countries offer professional dentistry at a fraction of the cost compared to western practices. Service and techniques aligned with western norms.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Service and techniques aligned with western norms.

My wife has had her teeth cleaned in the Philippines then later polished and cleaned in Canada. She says that the cleaning in PI is useless. She had 3 fillings done in the PI of which 2 of them fell out to be replaced in Canada. My daughter also had a filling fall out. I have had fillings done in Canada many years ago and none have ever fell out. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK, a serious question about implants.  No....not that one but this one:

implant 3 steps.jpg 

Any dentist offer dental implants there and how much per implants?  

Edited by Jake

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, jpbago said:

My wife has had her teeth cleaned in the Philippines then later polished and cleaned in Canada. She says that the cleaning in PI is useless. She had 3 fillings done in the PI of which 2 of them fell out to be replaced in Canada. My daughter also had a filling fall out. I have had fillings done in Canada many years ago and none have ever fell out. 

Wrong dentist it would appear. Our experience over the last 5 odd years is perfect in PH; and 10 to 15% of the cost in Oz. 2 crowns for me, 3 crowns and several fillings for Bengie, no problems 3/4 years on.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I have had fillings done in Canada many years ago and none have ever fell out.

I had one done in Canada that fell out the next day.  I had to take time off work and go back to the dentist.  He was pissed and blamed me, saying I must have bit into something too hard. (What can I say, I liked steak.)

I have also had a filling come out in Philippines so I am at 1 to 1 right now but I spent 50 years getting dental work in Canada and only 10 in Philippines so Canada still wins, but costs 10 times as much and the dentist could easily be an OFW from Philippines. :Caught:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jake said:

OK, a serious question about implants.  No....not that one but this one:

implant 3 steps.jpg 

For you, in your location, I would suggest Mexico or Costa Rica. I read that some are going to El Salvador for both medical and dentistry work.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jake said:

When I asked they told me I needed a dental surgeon and the cost was upwards from 50K pesos a tooth so I stopped asking.  Dentists don't do it, but could probably make a referal for you if you are in a hurry to part with all that cash.  For a missing tooth, a dentist likes to put in a "bridge" that costs 10 to 20k for one missing tooth, depending on the teeth next to it that they have to connect to.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I asked they told me I needed a dental surgeon and the cost was upwards from 50K pesos a tooth so I stopped asking.  Dentists don't do it, but could probably make a referal for you if you are in a hurry to part with all that cash.  For a missing tooth, a dentist likes to put in a "bridge" that costs 10 to 20k for one missing tooth, depending on the teeth next to it that they have to connect to.

For the bridge work, it is recommended to do root canals on the abutment teeth before they are crowned so that the work is final. It would be more than a pain to get a pain in one of the abutments and have to redo it all.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have also had a filling come out in Philippines so I am at 1 to 1 right now but I spent 50 years getting dental work in Canada and only 10 in Philippines so Canada still wins, but costs 10 times as much

Most people in Canada have insurance from their work that covers all or 80% of the cost, so the cost is high for those that don't have insurance. My wife is covered under my insurance now.