Money transfer FAILS

Daganflyer
Posted
Posted

I came to the Philippines for a temporary stay Nov. 2014 and we will be leaving for the USA this month(2017).  Initially I tried to use XOOM but they gave me a hassle, their review team required a copy of my passport.  I did this, they still held up the transfer requiring me to call them, the calls are not FREE.  I then went to REMITLY and have had the same problem.  I then did a direct deposit of one of my checks to a Philippine bank.  As we are leaving this month I had to cancel the direct deposit.  So here I am back again trying to do a money transfer this time using Remitly and once again their REVIEW TEAM is holding up money transfers despite my sending them a copy of my passport and giving them every assurance that I am here trying to transfer money from my US bank account to our Philippine bank account.  We now have a mortgage and a auto loan here, and we will be assisting a relative too; so I am trying to find a HASSLE FREE way to send money here.  I have already contacted banks.  I have complained to REMITLY.  I am now putting this on the forum to see what others do, as I am sure others have the same problems that I am having.  Thanks.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I used Western Union US, because my bank is in the US. I had to confirm the first few times, after that no problems. I just logged in to my WU account to check on things and it now says I can send $5,000 USD to an agent location or bank account for $2.99 USD. Considering it's the Philippines, I expect that any company would want some confirmation...the first few times, until a supervisor notes in your file to just pass it through. Switching back and forth probably is not serving you well. Hassle free and Philippines do not go together...but it does have it's compensations.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

Does your bank do SWIFT transfers? I do a transfer every month from my UK bank to my BDO account here in Phils. It is invariably in my account the next business day. It is a very simple, no hassle procedure. 

Ken

I agree with Ken, straight electronic transfers not a problem, whether sending to our own accounts or Bengie's folks account, Mind you the maximum to date we have sent to our personal accounts is just under !0K Aussie. Straight transfers from my bank are at a lower rate than a broker.

We have also purchased a property in Phills, lol, was suppose to settle a month ago,,,,,,,,, title transfer hold ups, more fun in PH. I talked to my bank, dealing with a broker for better exchange rate and no problems to transfer funds directly to the selling agents trust fund for disbursement. (If we have props I will follow up but all looks rosy)

As far as I am aware any legitimate bank has a swift code and for us to transfer funds from our Aussie accounts it is a prerequisite, it merely tells my bank that is the head office and is legitimate, account name and numbers numbers after that.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Does your bank do SWIFT transfers?

54 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

I agree with Ken

I agree with both.

In the beginning I had the same problems as the OP and the best way is to deal with the bank manager who knows you.  As time goes by you can try other methods until you find one that is cheaper and suits you better but the best fall back method is to have a great relationship with your bank manager "back home" so you can call or email and have her/him send a swift transfer.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I use world remit, never had a problem and never been asked for passport details or any other form of ID. Swift is good also but the exchange rate is worse than WR, which I consider good.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, virginprune said:

I use world remit, never had a problem and never been asked for passport details or any other form of ID. Swift is good also but the exchange rate is worse than WR, which I consider good.

I used world remit twice when I first got to Dumaguete but the last 3 times it has been knocked by Nat west.I then have to call them and they say it was an unusual transfer.I said really I don`t see that as I have been using them with very few problems for at least 4 years.

I can recommend World remit for efficiency,charges and their exchange rate.

I have 3 complaints lodged with Nat west and they have escalated to a senior level.

Each time I have to ring my bank I have to change my sim and hope the sun one I use is still valid.

Nat west will transfer money straight to my PNB but their charges are double that of World remit.I did a transfer on Tuesday this week and it was available in PNB on Friday and the exchange rate I got was 63 peso to the Pound.There was no charge from PNB. World remit were offering me 63.2.

I have only been transferring smallish amounts so this is not really a problem.It may become a problem when I decide to build if Nat west mess about then.

• Like 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

I second world remit.  Absolutely hassle free and best of all if you transfer to Metrobank, BDO, BPI or PNB the money is in your account literally within less than 30 minutes.   My bank charge me GBP 20 for an international SWIFT transfer.  World remit charge between GBP 1.99 - 9.99.  Faster, cheaper an much better exchange rate.

Im actually in the process of trying to get them to offer some sort of promo for members of this forum, but they seem to be ignoring me.

Jamie

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I used world remit twice when I first got to Dumaguete but the last 3 times it has been knocked by Nat west.I then have to call them and they say it was an unusual transfer.I said really I don`t see that as I have been using them with very few problems for at least 4 years.

I can recommend World remit for efficiency,charges and their exchange rate.

I have 3 complaints lodged with Nat west and they have escalated to a senior level.

Each time I have to ring my bank I have to change my sim and hope the sun one I use is still valid.

Nat west will transfer money straight to my PNB but their charges are double that of World remit.I did a transfer on Tuesday this week and it was available in PNB on Friday and the exchange rate I got was 63 peso to the Pound.There was no charge from PNB. World remit were offering me 63.2.

I have only been transferring smallish amounts so this is not really a problem.It may become a problem when I decide to build if Nat west mess about then.

My bank is HSBC. Many years ago I opened an account with NatWest and closed it within months as I found them unappealing to deal with.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jrlee183 said:

I second world remit.  Absolutely hassle free and best of all if you transfer to Metrobank, BDO, BPI or PNB the money is in your account literally within less than 30 minutes.   My bank charge me GBP 20 for an international SWIFT transfer.  World remit charge between GBP 1.99 - 9.99.  Faster, cheaper an much better exchange rate.

Im actually in the process of trying to get them to offer some sort of promo for members of this forum, but they seem to be ignoring me.

Jamie

BPI is the bank I use here, money arrives the next day. The others you mention are are virtually straight away.