Martial Law and its effects.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted (edited)

We don't receive much news about the Philippines here in the UK but tonight there was coverage on Channel 4 News about the situation in Mindanao and the enforcement of Martial Law and it went on to say that it is widely expected to be imposed on the whole of the Philippines.

My question is :-  From the perspective of a foreigner living in the Phils, Is this something to be fearful of and could it dramatically effect the way in which you are currently living?

Is the general view that it a bad thing OR a good thing OR something to just be aware of/accept and just go about your daily life? 

Just to open the topic to a wider field :- What is the view of forum members such as myself that are not living in the Phils yet but expect to be in the near future? 

Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

Edited by Eddie1
  • Like 1

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I hope to be moving there next year. Im keeping a keen eye on the situation. I hope to be near Cebu  which has yet to be effected. I have time on my side. 

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

The only thing it has done that affects me personally so far is given me a lot more reading. Daily living, driving, shopping, etc has not changed for me.

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted (edited)

Having been stationed at Clark in 77-80 it had no effect on me. You had to be off the streets by midnight. Other than that life goes on as usual. 

Edited by Ram1957
Spelling
  • Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Yes a lot more reading and also reading between the lines, family there have not mentioned the current issues but they are in northern Luzon. If Martial law is declared nationally how is that going to affect tourism, income for Filipino's, world wide monetary exchange rates, investments, CPI etc?

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I get jumpy when I hear unexpected fireworks. :Caught:

My eyes are open and I see clearly enough to realize there is potential for danger, but not yet enough to change my daily routine.

My long term plans are in a state of flux, depending on what happens next.  The martial law itself does not bother me, its the potential response from terrorist cells that does.  Many governments have thought they could deal with this kind of problem by stepping down hard on the insurgents.  Look how well it has worked in other countries.  Hmmmm, trying to think of one . . . any comments?

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I get jumpy when I hear unexpected fireworks. :Caught:

My eyes are open and I see clearly enough to realize there is potential for danger, but not yet enough to change my daily routine.

My long term plans are in a state of flux, depending on what happens next.  The martial law itself does not bother me, its the potential response from terrorist cells that does.  Many governments have thought they could deal with this kind of problem by stepping down hard on the insurgents.  Look how well it has worked in other countries.  Hmmmm, trying to think of one . . . any comments?

Well, sticking with the first part of your post (and not the off topic clickbait at the end LOL), as I said earlier my daily routine is not affected. As a renter, the only property I would leave behind in an emergency is my p81,000 when new motorbike, TV and some furniture. Don't want to replace them but nothing a couple months of savings mode couldn't replace.

If I was a property owner with the much higher investment and time required to sell, my daily would be the same but my concern would be higher. How does the current situation affect property selling decisions for current owners? 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Is the general view that it a bad thing OR a good thing OR something to just be aware of/accept and just go about your daily life? 

It is something to be aware off more so depending on where you plan to move to. Change has been coming about gradually. The change from bad to worse. There has always been resistance from radical Muslims who want their own piece of the pie to rule over with their Sharia Law. It goes back all the way to The Moro Rebellion. They have been given the ARMM (Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao). Is it any surprise that this is where the current trouble spot is? 

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I live in southern Mindanao and to date my response to it is the same as Dave H's. We built and own but selling is not an option we have discussed, it would more likely to be passed on to the SO's heir early, or possibly rented out depending on outcome and if plan B was instigated. 

As I have stated on another thread, the only difference so far is having to carry my passport as well as ACR with me at all times. There is no current curfew in my area.

• Like 2