bringing a Filipina to the US

mensamember1960
Posted
Posted

I am 56 years old, divorced and live in New York City. I drive for Uber and have a low income by US standards. I look good for my age, however I am my age.

I have met online many Filipinas who are under 30 and who are interested in meeting me.

I would like to know: If I bring a girl like this to the US, how likely is it that she will remain with me in the long term? On the one hand, once she obtains her "green card" she will no longer be dependent on me and could marry someone else younger. On the other hand, Filipinas are raised in a very patriarchal society where divorce is impossible. Therefore, perhaps she would by nature be inclined to remain with me.

Thank you for your thoughts and please let me know if you are aware of any success or failure stories.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum, stand by I am sure you will get lots of responses on this topic

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mensamember1960 said:

I am 56 years old, divorced and live in New York City. I drive for Uber and have a low income by US standards. I look good for my age, however I am my age.

I have met online many Filipinas who are under 30 and who are interested in meeting me.

I would like to know: If I bring a girl like this to the US, how likely is it that she will remain with me in the long term? On the one hand, once she obtains her "green card" she will no longer be dependent on me and could marry someone else younger. On the other hand, Filipinas are raised in a very patriarchal society where divorce is impossible. Therefore, perhaps she would by nature be inclined to remain with me.

Thank you for your thoughts and please let me know if you are aware of any success or failure stories.

You seem to be asking 'I have met someone here in the States and we have decided to move in together. Do you guys think she will stay with me forever?' How do we know? We don't know you nor her.

Now, if you are asking 'In the States this kind of age difference is crazy. Is there really a chance a 20+ year age difference is ok when talking about a Filipina?' In that case, yes. There are many many happy couples with 20+, 30+ year differences in age here. There are also many who have had their heart and/or wallet destroyed by an opportunist. 

Short answer, success is certainly in the realm of possibility - but not guaranteed. Depends on the two of you as individuals on a level we have no expertise on. Proceed with caution, be careful, keep your eyes open and rose colored glasses off, read forums as the good, bad, and ugly are discussed at length.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So you are thinking to marry and bring a reasonably attractive Filipina 30 years younger than you to live in an expensive area while having a modest income? What could go wrong with that plan? :popcorn:

Sarcasm aside, generalizations are just that honestly there is no way to know for sure one way or the other it depends on you and the lady and a thousand other factors. From what my wife and I have seen here in the US the odds are not in favor of doing that.

On the other hand if you were to meet a nice lady from a good family ten years or so your junior.....

Anyway welcome to the forum for sure there will be lots of input.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mensamember1960 said:

low income by US standards.

Lets look at first things first. can you even afford to go through the process of getting her to the states? Unless she comes from a wealthy family (which I doubt, but am willing to be proved wrong) you will have to foot the whole bill.

Round trip plane ticket for you, one way for her. If you marry her here in the PI, hotel costs, wedding costs, "gifts" to the family. Visa costs, costs for her passport.

Now I am not sure the complete process to get a fiancé visa, or a wife visa, can you afford to stay in the country for weeks or months while the interviews are done? (I believe there are topics already posted dealing with some of this, you can search and see).

I wont even get into what happens when you get her to the states. IMHO you have to do some hard and deep thinking and research to see if it is even possible.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The age difference is the determining factor. First, if you plan to live in the Philippines with your trophy wife, it has more of a chance to succeed but no guarantee. Second, if you plan on a happy married life in the states with your trophy wife, it would be difficult if not impossible to live a happy married life. 

Just my opinion and not advice.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

Patriarchal society? Really? Is there a Philippines I'm missing that I have not lived in? Maybe it's so in the ELITE and that would explain why I never saw the patriarchy. From the families I have known, most wouldn't have had a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of if a woman were not the driving force. Some people might say it's a patriarchal society because some men are tolerated in having a mistress? That guy had better be bringing home the bacon.

• Like 4

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. Another former New Yorker here. Well i have been there done that and our age difference is 32 yrs. Been married now since 2001 and still going strong. First i would advise that you try and get to know the lady first. I say try because it will take time and you cannot trust her to be honest but as you get to know her better you will learn if she is sincere or not. Even then it will be a gamble. It takes money and your time to get her to the states. Only two way she will get a visa. As your wife if you are married here or a fiancee K1 visa, which with the latter you will have three months to marry after she gets to the states. The good filipina will stay with you if you treats her good. There are many filipinos in N.Y. and she will make friends quickly and easily. Filipinos are very social people.    She will talk and compare notes with others. I have seen and heard of filipinas married, comes to the states and trade up or leave their spouse after a year or two.  It does happen. It can work and it may not work. But as i stated you need time to get to know the lady and this is something you should not rush into but be cautious and look for red flags as you go along.not sure if you know what red flags are but it is a term we expat uses when a lady is a scammer. Many scammers here and many good honest women who only need a chance with a good man.

Good luck with what ever you chooses. Hope this helps a little. Take care.

• Like 3