bringing a Filipina to the US

mensamember1960
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you all so much!

Regarding the money, I believe that I can (barely) afford the expense of the entire K-1 process and I have researched that extensively.

I don't mean to brag, of course this all anonymous so I cannot go about proving this, so please make the assumption that I am being honest and reply based on that.

My pitfall in dating in the US seems to be that younger women, even much younger women, are attracted to me. However in the US it seems to be absolutely taboo to marry a man who could be theoretically mistaken to be your father. Women would rather never marry than marry someone like that. And women closer to my age are seldom attractive or if they are attractive they are very married.

Filipinas however seem to be astonished that age makes a difference. This is a great breath of fresh air. I feel like I have won the lottery.

There was recently a reality TV show called 90 Day Fiancee which featured a an American man Mark 58 years old who brought his 19 year old filipina fiancee to the US on a 90 day K-1. From watching the show, I think she really loves him, she is not a "passport whore", although I have an impression that his controlling personality may ruin that marriage. If anyone has seen this and has an comment I would be happy to hear it.

But of course a lot of people will tell me "She just wants the green card." and obviously it will be very humiliating if a few years down the road they are proven right!

Thank you all for all your comments.

MODERATORS EDIT:  The poster kindly made a link to the Youtube video of the TV Show he referred to but the forum rules do not permit links by new members so the link is removed but it is searchable for anyone interested.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Remove Link

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, davewe said:

This forum is mostly geared toward expats but in my case I did bring my future wife to the US and married her under the K-1 Visa. We have lived in the US for the past 4 years, though we will soon be moving to the Philippines.

You are at the correct time to ask if she is getting er US citizenship? If she has been working she will be at the halfway point to qualify for Social Security on her own, how did you work through the pros and cons of those issues?

2 hours ago, mensamember1960 said:

There was recently a reality TV show called 90 Day Fiancee which featured a an American man Mark 58 years old who brought his 19 year old filipina fiancee to the US on a 90 day K-1. From watching the show, I think she really loves him, she is not a "passport whore", although I have an impression that his controlling personality may ruin that marriage. If anyone has seen this and has an comment I would be happy to hear it.

But of course a lot of people will tell me "She just wants the green card." and obviously it will be very humiliating if a few years down the road they are proven right!

I saw that show, don't know the guy except for what I saw. If that portrayed him accurately, he is quite the (nothing nice to say) and seemed to really be looking for a younger version of his ex-wife, wanting her to become his ex-wife, and very domineering and controlling. Including that ridiculous prenup which was so far in his favor, the attorney he sent her to told her it was very insulting. She told him what the attorney said and he said sign it or I am sending you back to the Philippines. Pretty sure that prenup is worthless now after forcing her to sign it under threat of deportation - on national TV. Sorry, rant over.

As far as being possibly humiliated, if she leaves, well you had a few good years. Not like she was the last one, just try choosing better next time or come over here, stay single and mingle. Who cares what a self righteous, judgemental person thinks anyway?

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2017 at 6:04 AM, mensamember1960 said:

I drive for Uber and have a low income by US standards.

If you don't have much money, then you don't have much to lose. At the very least, you will gain experience in the Filipina dating process. If you like working for Uber, come to Manila and do that after you get married. Likely you would be the one to mistrust then. Lots of girls looking for a free ride. Grab taxi is here also.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, mensamember1960 said:

Regarding the money, I believe that I can (barely) afford the expense of the entire K-1 process and I have researched that extensively.

There is the expense but there is also the minimum income requirement. Two separate issues. Can you afford the fees to complete the process, can you prove you can support a spouse that is not allowed to work right away.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Gary is right. Not to be harsh but in all honesty if you want to have a much younger wife move to Philippines meet a nice young lady with a child. Chances are you could find one who would truly love you. 

Again not to be blunt but consider this.. You are healthy and young looking in your early 50's today. Time moves swiftly my friend. 

My wife is in her mid 50's I'm over 60 we have a wonderful relationship. Over the past 20 years we have seen a number of guys bring a younger Filipina here to the States in many cases after five years many have moved on. With very few exceptions what keeps the others together is money. The guys has it and a good prenuptial agreement.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, mensamember1960 said:

If I recall, the young girl had been thru this before with a different American before meeting Mark, and it did not work out with Mark. Young pretty Filipinas will have men falling at their feet until they get what they want. Even then some are not sure.

My wife met a Filipina here recently. She went to Japan years ago, married a Japanese, had 1 kid, got a divorce in Japan,  the man got custody of the boy, met a Korean, had 2 kids, got a divorce, met an American now who is trying to bring her to USA, and now she has a Filipino boyfriend on the side. My wife says that she is pretty. I have not met her and do not want to.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

You are at the correct time to ask if she is getting er US citizenship? If she has been working she will be at the halfway point to qualify for Social Security on her own, how did you work through the pros and cons of those issues?

Yes, my wife applied, just passed her interview and next week takes the oath. Very proud of her. Waiting till she got her citizenship was a pretty easy decision to make.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, davewe said:

Yes, my wife applied, just passed her interview and next week takes the oath. Very proud of her. Waiting till she got her citizenship was a pretty easy decision to make.

Cool, was she working/is there a social security qualification decision to make also? It is something I talk to my wife about. Do we go, how long do we stay, 5 yrs for citizenship or 10 years for social security also.