Public School in the Province is not free!

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

Last January me and my wife while on holidays purchased school supplies (paper, crayons, pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners etc) as well as a snack & drink box for every child in 3 provincial schools. Total about 120 kids. One of the schools was a very poor area with very little government help. There were 6 or 7 classrooms and only 3 teachers for the school. The other two were baranguay kindergartens.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Yesterday my partner and I attended the first home room meeting at the niece's kindergarten class. The mother could not attend as she was working out of town so we represented her. It was interesting, I managed to keep up with what was said by the odd English word or phrase thrown in to the mainly Ilonngo discussion. What came out of this was the asking for P50 a month to pay for janitorial duties and for the teacher to purchase paper and pencils. A committee of parents was then voted in, their first project was to ask for P200 from each for an LED television for the classroom. These amounts were worked out by calculating the amount of parents of 66 pupils. So it transpires that even though most things, including chairs, has already been provided by the parents, various ongoing needs will still have to be paid for. The teacher, bless her, was very proud to inform that the government had provided the textbooks for learning Hiligaynon. 

What saddens me is that poor people cannot send their children to school because they have insufficient funds to purchase even the most basic of requirements.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, virginprune said:

mainly Ilonngo discussion

I am surprised that ilonggo is spoken there.

Your niece will be proud of you, as we are, in your attendance and assistance.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jpbago said:

I am surprised that ilonggo is spoken there.

Your niece will be proud of you, as we are, in your attendance and assistance.

Ilonggo is the language of Marbel and most of South Cotobato, the pioneers of this area are from Iloilo. 

General Santos and Davao speak Bisaya.

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 1