Life before the expat

stevewool
Posted
Posted

After reading some threads about life before we came to the Philippines or married or just live with our partners and what we did before all this.

Reading about many of you some sounds like Rambo, some sound like red Adair and others well they have just worked and traveled the world, and it all sounds wonderful to a point.

Myself having only worked in two jobs all my working life and never leaving the country other then holidays does sound tame compared to many,but I have no complaints, but am I unique in this or are there others just like me.

Maybe I am going to end up in the same place as a few of you but I have got there in a quite and steady way other then two divorces and losing the house, and I think that's what we all may have in common.

If this does not belong in this section please remove.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

I fall into the bracket of being an Army Brat for 22 years, so traveled alot around Europe when young.  Now ten years working around middle east and traveled extensively on holidays and with work.

Similar.......two divorces.....lost house.  But being here has certainly set me back up on my feet!  Married beautiful Filipina and all is well.

Counting down couple of years till retire in PI but mean time getting business and life prepared ready for that day in PI.  Regular visits keep me contented for now.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Maybe I am going to end up in the same place as a few of you

OH! Steve I thought that was your Aim :whistling: But to answer your Post, I left the UK (permanently first in 1999 to live in Spain (Well I worked in Gibraltar) After Many years of seeing other Countries (Service days). I thought Ah! I could live in one of those (Countries). It was all strange to begin with but I had the Buffer over the Runway in a Tiny bit of Great Britain so I was just 2 hours away from Home (So to Speak)

I am not really sure where you will go with this Steve but you will find that Life really is much the same wherever you go. Having 2 marriages behind you should make no Difference, that can Happen anywhere but I do feel that only 2 jobs since school may have made you a little Institutionalized, Many career Service Personnel feel a not belonging attitude at times when they come into what I guess we would call the Real World (many got Mollycoddled)  maybe if you had had a little more chequerboard career you may not feel the way I think you are just now. They say that "Travel Broadens the mind" (You did that) but then "Variety is the Spice of Life". For me I chose Both (27 Years RAF) and have had a wonderful Life. Let your New Home & Country (Should/when it Happens) be your Variety of Life in Retirement :thumbsup:  

Edited by Jack Peterson
deleted an Unimportant bit
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Reading about many of you some sounds like Rambo, some sound like red Adair and others well they have just worked and traveled the world, and it all sounds wonderful to a point.

You left out MacGyver.  His skills are an important part of living here.  If still unsure then search for and watch a few episodes.  Its an American TV show.

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You left out MacGyver.  His skills are an important part of living here.  If still unsure then search for and watch a few episodes.  Its an American TV show.

He sounds Scottish to me Dave, did he build Hadrian's wall? :hystery:

Steve, quite a few of us have experienced the rough end of marriage, hopefully we all came out stronger for the experience.

Ask yourself this, are you happy where you are, with who you are, if so stay put, it's the difference between going away or running away.

Some through their employment travelled extensively, before putting down root's in the country of their choice.

The more successful the person is, widens their options, or the ability to backtrack from their mistakes.

While for other's there is no going back, it is not an option.

The two most important thing's in life for me are Health and Happiness, they go hand in hand when making that final decision.

On the other hand  ( that's three hands :89: ) if you don't try it you will never know, wait till you retire, give it a go and don't burn those bridges till you are sure it's for you.

I'm sure we all have been in the same boat mate, you are not alone.:thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers boys, 12 days time we are on holiday, god knows where I have not made my mind up as Emma wants to see every country on every continent, plus money is no object in her eyes, ' you can't take it with you when your dead' she keeps telling me.

Anyway she trust me to pick where to go as long as it's not skeggy,

Two weeks of no work and time to reflect on what we may be wanting in the coming months, now do I spoil and get my way , or spoil her and wait.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have not made my mind up as Emma wants to see every country on every continent,

Where have you Not been? Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I was not a world traveler - that is till divorce #2. By then I was 54, a divorced dad. Yes, I had more than 2 jobs. In fact ran my own business for 14 years. Finally settled down at one of those large, institutionalized work places Jack refers to and rode the gravy train till last month when I retired.

At 54, not getting any younger I decided to travel: Africa a couple times, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Hawaii, and of course the Philippines many times, where of course I met my wife.

Assuming someone buys the damn house soon (fingers crossed - we have a couple good prospects) will be in PI in August!

• Like 5