Saudi-Qatar relations

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Breaking news

I have in the past used Qatar Airlines travelling from UK to Doha and on to Philippines.

News is breaking that Saudi Arabia has closed it's borders with Qatar over allegations it is  assisting

Islamic State -IS and al Qaeda, A claim which Qatar deny.

Egypt and other Arab states have closed diplomatic relations too.

According to BBC all travel between Saudi and Qatar is closed.

Edited by Kuya John

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Hmmm. I've used Qatar airways too heading to the Ph. The new airport in Doha is spectacular.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is not just Saudi that is closing off to Qatar but 4 others as well. Saudi is asking it's people in Qatar to return and for those from Qatar now in Saudi, they have 14 days to leave. There are 10,000 American military in Qatar. Quite a surprise there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/world/middleeast/qatar-saudi-arabia-egypt-bahrain-united-arab-emirates.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Nope, never used Qatar. I was a frequent flyer with Delta and Southwest Airlines. 

Southwest Airlines used to give out a book with coupons in it to purchase items alone the way on your flight. 

One guy flying next seat to me got drunk on his way from LA to Orlando and he complained because he still had coupons left in his book.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Southwest Airlines used to give out a book with coupons in it to purchase items alone the way on your flight. 

One guy flying next seat to me got drunk on his way from LA to Orlando and he complained because he still had coupons left in his book.

So obviously the coupons were not for drinks nor peanuts.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Its a start, I guess the Arab world took Mr Trump seriously when he said "throw them out". If reports are to be believed this might effect some of the money flowing to extremists. Like I said, hopefully its a start.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, jpbago said:

So obviously the coupons were not for drinks nor peanuts.

Yes, they were. I remember. Many used them for that. Maybe that is why they discontinued the use of coupons to exchange for booze. Too many drunks can ruin a pane trip for others. 

Oakland Raider fans got on the plane already drunk after a game in Oakland. They are a rowdy bunch but we are peaceful.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Too many drunks can ruin a pane trip for others. 

Best malapropism ever!  Plane/pain = pane.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Too many drunks can ruin a pane trip for others. 

Yes, but a plane  full of Raider fans is a fun ride. Everyone is in a good mood, win or lose. Not all are drunk but may have had a few drinks before boarding the plane. 

I have never seen a passenger who was annoyed riding with  bunch of happy Raider fans. Even the flight attendants love them.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Breaking news

I have in the past used Qatar Airlines travelling from UK to Doha and on to Philippines.

News is breaking that Saudi Arabia has closed it's borders with Qatar over allegations it is  assisting

Islamic State -IS and al Qaeda, A claim which Qatar deny.

Egypt and other Arab states have closed diplomatic relations too.

According to BBC all travel between Saudi and Qatar is closed.

Yes been watching this unfold over the last 24 hours or so.  UAE and others seem quite focused in closing down all relations with Qatar, sanctions are to follow apparently.