Death as an Expat

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gratefuled said:

I want to die before I get old. 

Was it Bob Hope? (I forget who exactly ) said if I knew I would live this Long "I would have taken better care of myself"

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We just lost another one last night.  A fellow named Ken.  I feel vaguely uneasy about this as he has only been in Philippines for months, not years, and one of the reasons he came was due to some of the blogs I have online.  I used to make and sell some vlogs/blogs as a hobby and of course the buyers of those items want you to make the place look fantastic, and I did. Ken told me flat out that I was instrumental in his decision to move here.

I have had that vague feeling for the same type reason before. Someone making a decision based on my recommendations but had an unfavorable outcome. He may have used your information but he was the one to take that information, apply it to his own life and make his own decision. Especially as we were honest in our presentation, which I am sure you were, we bare no responsibility for unforeseeable events. 

As a good guy it is understandable there is a moment of sad reflection, as a good guy you have nothing to feel uneasy about.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, AlwaysRt said:

I think that was George Burns, drank champagne and smoked cigars all the way to his 100th birthday.

Thank you.jpg

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jpbago said:

Now Stevewool will never come. We almost had him.

Now that is funny, but i understand what Dave is saying too,

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was thinking of Stevewool when i wrote this.  After my feelings of guilt over losing Ken, who came here due to the glowing reviews I gave this place, how would any of us feel if one of our members was persuaded to come here and the same thing happened?

I say:  Come on over Stevewool.  But recognize that there is risk as well as reward.

This is one of the reasons i keep asking questions about this and that and staying here for as long as i can to fund any possibilities .

I dont see life there through rose tinted glasses and on all my trips over i get the runs but thats what most tourist gets.

I do listen to all the great things but take into life all those things that can go wrong too. keep up all the good work everyone and say it how it is too.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean Gratefuled, there are a few blokes here in Pattaya, who are so miserable, they are just oxygen thieves.

• Like 4

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Just about anywhere new you go, Especially the "Third World", you are going to get sick beyond "the norm."  I'm still fit, and way even more so when I landed in Iraq in 2009, when a retired DEA guy told me, "This place is going to challenge your immune system like nothing you've ever known."   Well, he was right, we all got pretty sick here and there, and even more sick when bunch of us ate that "fresh" Tigris river carp with MajGen Taha over at MOI  (Think Jaba the Hut being Taha!...Pretty sure they're related) , that was tank fed/kept for a few days before... oh yeah, That will work!....felt like death for 3 days.  Then the fecal matter in the dust there made for plenty respiratory infection issues.  After short stay/return to  US, off to A'shita'stan and that was Worse.  Got blasted by some debris that caused some minor leg cuts, and days later sleeping in nasty conditions, got a blood infection, which docs being brutally honest there, said if the infection reaches this point upper thigh he marked, we're gonna remove your leg.   Ummmm, Okay!   thanks for the encouraging words doc!    Fortunately the IV drip kicked in and killed the bugger over next few days about 2 inches shy of the mark.  Same respiratory infections, etc as well, that actually seemed worse that Iraq.   Then got MRSA a yr or so later once back in US, which I'd never had, all likely from the beaten down immune system related to deployments.   

Point is, there are bugs and such in places like PI that can kill the healthiest of individuals or make you damn sick, And getting exposed and sick Does wear down your immune system over time if repeated.   Death or result of some missing body parts, etc, is a real possibility as stated above about possible demise...And the need to seek Good medical care Early when sick.    Then again, life's an adventure and if going to feel miserable and just monetarily "surviving" where you are, why not go for it?   I Think my own system finally recovered and  For me, it's worth the risk to give it a shot, but always  have the plan B. ....And that pneumonia shot sounds like a solid plan! 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I want to die before I get old. 

We can arrange that for a small fee. PM details of how you want to go and I can send an invoice. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

And that pneumonia shot sounds like a solid plan!

I got that, good for life (or 10 years whichever comes first).

• Like 5