Death as an Expat

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, earthdome said:

Where I live in the US, within a few miles of two hospitals, I expect an ambulance with highly trained EMT's could reach me in under 5 minutes.

AND you could get airlifted to a major facility if needed.  Here that is only possible if you know the right people and have very deep pockets.  I was given a number to call some time back.  A friend said he could have a helicopter to pick me up in Dumaguete and get me Cebu PDQ if I gave him a call.  The only catch is it would cost me way more than I could afford so I discarded the thought and said thanks but no thanks.

I now wish I had kept that info so I could share it with some truly wealthy friends who may need that service one day.  Ah well.  It IS available but the cost is huge.  I wish I could remember the amount but it was in the 100s of thousands of pesos area.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't plan to die here but if ever I do I have instructions on what to do with my remains.

My remains will be cremated and ashes in separate containers.

One container will be sent to my son's home to be placed beside my late wife's grave. I have already paid for the grave site. 

The other one is for my present wife to do with what she wants. 

She agrees but hates for me to talk about death and dying. 

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2017 at 9:33 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

So if you are the kind of person who has never lived anywhere else and you are contemplating coming here for your retirement years, think long and hard on it.  Lots of people come here for 6 months of the year and then go home for 6 months and they seem to be the healthiest of the lot.  I suppose their bodies get used to the travel and the 6 months back home gives them time to readjust.

That will be my routine, I suspect.  Six months in the States, six months in the islands.  A true snowbird.  But it will be easier for me, as my wife will be a US citizen by then.  Her Filipina friends here in the States think she's crazy about wanting to go back, but her extended family are all there and she wants the best of both worlds.  I've lived all over the world so I don't think I'll have any problems with the transition.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2017 at 5:44 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I now wish I had kept that info so I could share it with some truly wealthy friends who may need that service one day.  Ah well.  It IS available but the cost is huge.  I wish I could remember the amount but it was in the 100s of thousands of pesos area.

Years ago, our travels included third world countries with limited medical facility. I purchased air ambulance service insurance for a year. The typical cost then was $30,000 for the service if you didn't have insurance. The example would the former Yugoslavia to Switzerland and Indonesia to Singapore.

• Like 1