Armed civilian militia. Is this the answer?

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gratefuled said:

Robert, you are comparing US forces to Philippine forces. The terrorists have used the water to launch an attack and withdraw before. There is not enough Philippine Coast Guard to guard all the coastlines day and night. Mindanao has a lot of coastline and that's just one island. Then there's the Visayas, Palawan and other islands. 

Ed, you are talking about response time, strike and leave before the authorities know you have. I said if you are already engaged.

Even in the case you are talking about, I bet they weren't on the water for more than an hour. They put to sea to escape, but they landed quickly because to stay at sea for very long is suicidal. Population is the sea through which terrorists swim and population density is low on the waves.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Even in the case you are talking about, I bet they weren't on the water for more than an hour. They put to sea to escape, but they landed quickly because to stay at sea for very long is suicidal. Population is the sea through which terrorists swim and population density is low on the waves.

Robert, they have been using the sea and the jungle long before the present time and at a very successful rate. Muslims and Philippine guerrilla forces gave the Japanese more than they could handle in Mindanao. Not much has changed except that now, many of the Muslims have become bandits, pirates and terrorists. They still kidnap people and hold them for ransom at a high success rate. they will continue to be a thorn in the side of President Duterte unless he can somehow bring them under control. I doubt it. So, until then everyone has to wait and see where they will strike next. 

Edited by Gratefuled
addition

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

So, until then everyone has to wait and see where they will strike next. 

Yep! make you right on that one ED 

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2017 at 10:24 AM, AlwaysRt said:

Since I would include you in 'respectable citizen', are you saying that if you were allowed to own a gun you would get one and go on a shooting rampage? Or would you , IF you ever decided you wanted one, get training so you knew how to operate it safely and only use it as a last resort?

If 'respectable citizens' cannot be trusted with guns, we should take their cars away also... good idea to ban alcohol also... hey a curfew would be good... 

I don't think the average guy on the street is so irresponsible - it is the kooks on the news that give the average guy a bad name and the average guy who is then limited in freedom because of it.

I had a gun for 16 years by virtue of my occupation, ie. Police Force.  Thankfully I never had to use it, a couple of times went close.  I have had more exposure to weapons than most 'respectable citizens', but the day I left my gun with my superiors, was no loss whatsoever for me.  I have heard your types of arguments for years, both within Australia and absolutely from USA.

After a major incident in Tasmania many years ago, a nutter named Bryant killed 20 plus people, mainly at a very popular tourist location, they were all massacred uselessly and needlessly.  The then PM passed legislation and it became law that unlicensed firearms had to be handed in, hundreds of thousands of weapons were surrendered.  Lots of nonsense retoric came from the gun lobby, but fortunately, they do not have the power like they do in USA.

We have not had a major incident or mass killing since as far as I am aware.  Criminals still have guns an always will.  Crime remains a problem as it was then, but no significant spike in serious, gun related crime.

With great respect Don, I am afraid your offhanded comments add nothing to the facts, that innocent people are being killed constantly, particularly in the USA, which has the worst gun related deaths statistics in the world.  I doubt the families of those victims would give much credence to your scenarios above.

My point is that people are dying needlessly from guns that should not be out there.  Getting a licence in USA for a gun is like buying a loaf of bread.  Of course this is somewhat off topic but not totally IMO.  We have seen where people will use situations to further their own 'business dealings' like getting rid of opposition drug dealers under the 'smoke screen' of 'vigilante killings'.  If the oven is hot, I don't stick my head in to confirm it!

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2017 at 7:14 AM, Gratefuled said:

I am no so sure Philippine troops both Army and Marines are ill equipped.  

The terrorists have obviously not just suddenly decided to take over Marawi.  This is something that has been planned well in advance. There are tunnels under the Mosque and other places. There are strategic places where they have set up snipers. They have taken hostages and use them as human shields. This is not a conventional  conflict. Collateral damage will be and has been high. Philippine forces cannot make an all out assault without inflicting heavy damage to innocent civilians. 

Look at this as a test of what they, (terrorists) can do and will do in the future in another location probably close to the sea where they can retreat to. With more and more foreign terrorists loyal to ISIS look for more assaults. 

Some very good points you raise, of which I am aware of as I watch the scenario unfold.  But I did watch a very good interview with DU30 and he stated that the Army is NOT adequately equipped, for this or any other possible conflict, which we  all hope will not eventuate.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I had a gun for 16 years by virtue of my occupation, ie. Police Force.  Thankfully I never had to use it, a couple of times went close.  I have had more exposure to weapons than most 'respectable citizens', but the day I left my gun with my superiors, was no loss whatsoever for me.  I have heard your types of arguments for years, both within Australia and absolutely from USA.

After a major incident in Tasmania many years ago, a nutter named Bryant killed 20 plus people, mainly at a very popular tourist location, they were all massacred uselessly and needlessly.  The then PM passed legislation and it became law that unlicensed firearms had to be handed in, hundreds of thousands of weapons were surrendered.  Lots of nonsense retoric came from the gun lobby, but fortunately, they do not have the power like they do in USA.

We have not had a major incident or mass killing since as far as I am aware.  Criminals still have guns an always will.  Crime remains a problem as it was then, but no significant spike in serious, gun related crime.

With great respect Don, I am afraid your offhanded comments add nothing to the facts, that innocent people are being killed constantly, particularly in the USA, which has the worst gun related deaths statistics in the world.  I doubt the families of those victims would give much credence to your scenarios above.

My point is that people are dying needlessly from guns that should not be out there.  Getting a licence in USA for a gun is like buying a loaf of bread.  Of course this is somewhat off topic but not totally IMO.  We have seen where people will use situations to further their own 'business dealings' like getting rid of opposition drug dealers under the 'smoke screen' of 'vigilante killings'.  If the oven is hot, I don't stick my head in to confirm it!

Apparently you know little about getting a USA gun license. Last I bought some bread, I didn't go through a Federal background check or have to endure a waiting period, etc.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Reboot said:

Apparently you know little about getting a USA gun license. Last I bought some bread, I didn't go through a Federal background check or have to endure a waiting period, etc.

You have to stand in line to buy the bread.  Again a 'tongue in cheek' comment but whatever the process, it can't be too difficult as there are millions of the bloody things in USA!

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Reboot said:

In many states you can own a gun but to get a license to carry it with you is another story. Someone with military service background can carry  a gun in Florida and in Texas. 

If you get caught carrying a weapon you can go to jail whether its concealed or not. ( in some states)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Automated members message

This topic is now locked awaiting the admins review. Once the topic has been reviewed it may reopen as is or to the admins discretion. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Gun debates and politics are always troublesome topics so I think this topic has ran its course. 

• Like 3