Armed civilian militia. Is this the answer?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

Seems like a lot of crimes could be prevented and/or stopped since local law enforcement is limited and cannot be everywhere or respond quickly to a crime.

In the London Bridge incident, it would have been difficult to prevent even if they were spot checked.... but from start to finish, the three were terrorists were dead in 8 minutes. Double dead in fact as 50 rounds were fired by the police as the terrorists had fake suicide vests.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We just drove into South Dakota a few hours ago. Good WiFi at the KOA campground so I am catching up with forum news.

In our home state of South Dakota, residents can carry a concealed weapon with a permit. North Dakota plans to amend their laws that you don't even need a permit.  Do I feel unsafe? No. I feel safer. I like the idea of an armed citizenry.    

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the majority of fighters and agitators were not Pinoys, but fighters who have come in from foreign countries.

So, where did it occur? ARMM is where. Autonomous Region Muslim Mindanao. Where the majority are Muslims. Good thing the BBL was not passed or they would have another free place to assemble.

BBL is Banglasmoro Basic Law which would have allowed Muslims to disregard Philippine Law and allow Sharia Law to rule the area. Christians would come under Sharia Law and eventually persecuted and forced to leave.

Edited by Gratefuled
addition

jpbago
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We just drove into South Dakota a few hours ago.

Mount Rushmore, Needle Mountains, a little early for Sturgis Harley Rally. Nice places there in South Dakota.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

Someone once suggested it. I think it was Daryl Gates former Chief of Police in LA who invented S.W.A.T. 

It was suppose to be made up of responsible citizens who were selected with background checks as well as training with a firearm. They could carry a concealed weapon in public and had the authority to use it to stop and/or prevent a crime. Sort of like undercover law enforcement. 

Seems like a lot of crimes could be prevented and/or stopped since local law enforcement is limited and cannot be everywhere or respond quickly to a crime.

What do you think?

Did it ever happen? I personally hear exactly what you are saying,,,,,,,, coming from a disarmed citizenship myself. I know in the States that members of the public can already carry concealed firearms, (2nd amendment) did this ever help? Orlando massacre, school shootings, mall shootings, road rage shootings? Similar things occur in Oz but infrequently.Philippines also. Perhaps, given the state of the world, governments should be investing more money to fight crime and corruption in our own back yards rather than blowing it on migrant/humanitarian (supported) intakes, fighting wars in other countries, space travel etc. More funding/presence of law keepers at home is good start, not a police state necessarily but obvious/more presence, not to book some dude going 5 clicks over the speed limit but to fight and subdue those that sneak, lurk and abuse an under personed system for their gain.

Disarming or arming our citizens? This is what happened in Oz in 1996, crime and suicides dropped? Only time will tell but worth a read.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck/2016-04-28/fact-check-gun-homicides-and-suicides-john-howard-port-arthur/7254880

Arming/disarming, look at the figures, compare your own countries. In the Philippines? who can tell? Plenty of firearms both manufactured and home made. Legal but mostly illegal. For us a sidearm and a rifle or 2 will be legal in my partners name, legal yes, necessary? Who knows, absolutely hope not. I don't want to walk my neighbourhood carrying a gun, move elsewhere.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Think it works in Florida in places where it is allowed....not the bar where guns are banned.

Doesn't seem to work in Chicago, where all the criminals and illegal aliens defy the law and have weapons,  the citizens are not to be trusted with them. 

My personal weapon of choice is a 35" aluminum bat, legal in 50 states and the half of Canada that I tavel  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just a thought but if you are going to legalise the Populus carrying Guns are you not chancing legalising some of the bad Guys (Criminals)?

Some of these Bad ones may lead a Double Life, I lived some years ago a short way from a Guy who was employed by the Council (Ayuntamiento in Spain) during the Work time, seemed a very upstanding Citizen but was Gang Leader of a Drug smuggling Gang at night and Weekends. He was only caught when His RIB ( Rigid Inflatable Boat) ran out of Fuel when Collecting his stuff from the Supply vessel in the bay.  If you could segregate them then you would have the answer, Wouldn't you?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Think it works in Florida in places where it is allowed....not the bar where guns are banned.

Doesn't seem to work in Chicago, where all the criminals and illegal aliens defy the law and have weapons,  the citizens are not to be trusted with them. 

My personal weapon of choice is a 35" aluminum bat, legal in 50 states and the half of Canada that I tavel  

I have heard that it is also legal to nave a bat in your car in the UK.But you must also carry a ball.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Did it ever happen?

No, we are left to fend for ourselves. 

I am thinking that an armed civilian militia would stop some crimes but not all. 

For instance, it could stop a mugging, a rape, an assault, even cut down on casualties in the event a terrorist started shooting. Civilian militia could return fire before casualties mounted. In San Bernardino and Orlando.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

I have heard that it is also legal to nave a bat in your car in the UK.But you must also carry a ball.

I keep a bat and two balls with me everywhere i go......

• Like 3