Armed civilian militia. Is this the answer?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Someone once suggested it. I think it was Daryl Gates former Chief of Police in LA who invented S.W.A.T. 

It was suppose to be made up of responsible citizens who were selected with background checks as well as training with a firearm. They could carry a concealed weapon in public and had the authority to use it to stop and/or prevent a crime. Sort of like undercover law enforcement. 

Seems like a lot of crimes could be prevented and/or stopped since local law enforcement is limited and cannot be everywhere or respond quickly to a crime.

What do you think?

In theory I think it is a very good idea,but in practice as JP said you don`t really know the people.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have heard that it is also legal to nave a bat in your car in the UK.But you must also carry a ball.

Thanks. I carry a bat in my car too but was not sure of the legality.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gratefuled said:

No, we are left to fend for ourselves. 

I am thinking that an armed civilian militia would stop some crimes but not all. 

For instance, it could stop a mugging, a rape, an assault, even cut down on casualties in the event a terrorist started shooting. Civilian militia could return fire before casualties mounted. In San Bernardino and Orlando.

Sounds like beyond the right to own, carry, and protect life and property, it sounds like you are sort of asking about a reserve police force? Authorized and trained but not working 'on the job'?

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

In theory I think it is a very good idea,but in practice as JP said you don`t really know the people.

The public does not have to know who the civilian militia is. That is left to law enforcement to screen the ones that are allowed to be militia and carry weapons. They will not wear uniforms. They would appear to be just ordinary citizens which is what they really are.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

In theory that could be a problem, however the bad guys will already have guns if they want them. Making it legal only affects the law abiding. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Think it works in Florida

It only works in a place where the individual places the welfare of the whole before the welfare of the individual, rare commodity her:huh:e

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Sounds like beyond the right to own, carry, and protect life and property, it sounds like you are sort of asking about a reserve police force? Authorized and trained but not working 'on the job'?

Yes, but not authorised to make arrests. Just break up and prevent a crime and maybe hold till regular law enforcement arrives.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Just a thought but if you are going to legalise the Populus carrying Guns are you not chancing legalising some of the bad Guys (Criminals)?

Some of these Bad ones may lead a Double Life, I lived some years ago a short way from a Guy who was employed by the Council (Ayuntamiento in Spain) during the Work time, seemed a very upstanding Citizen but was Gang Leader of a Drug smuggling Gang at night and Weekends. He was only caught when His RIB ( Rigid Inflatable Boat) ran out of Fuel when Collecting his stuff from the Supply vessel in the bay.  If you could segregate them then you would have the answer, Wouldn't you?

Jack, it wouldn't make criminals legal. It's already against the law to carry a gun in the commission of a crime.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

n theory that could be a problem, however the bad guys will already have guns if they want them. Making it legal only affects the law abiding. 

We already know this. That is the purpose of the armed civilian militia. We know that the response time of law enforcement is never enough to prevent a crime. Armed civilian militia could theoretically prevent or stop a crime from occurring or being carried out resulting in more victims.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

The public does not have to know who the civilian militia is

That sounds more like the secret police, its been tried a few times I believe

• Like 2