Why The Philippines?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Google News allows readers to select topics of interest and mine includes, "overseas retirement." Lots of articles on a daily basis. When it comes to cost of living, there are many places just as cheap or cheaper than the Philippines. A recent article has five countries where ex-pats as residents can obtain quality medical insurance for less than $80 a month (Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Panama, Malaysia). Flying home for visits? Philippines is probably more expensive because of the distance to North America and Europe. Other locations also offer excellent beaches, good food and favorable climate.

My question is, "Why the Philippines?"

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Among others that some enjoy I would say "English Speaking" has a lot to do with it.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Why, oh why do I love Paris? Because my love is here. 

I do not LOVE the Philippines but my LOVE is here. 

Plus, I wouldn't live in any of the places you mentioned. I have been to Mexico often enough to know that I would not want to live there.

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Google News allows readers to select topics of interest and mine includes, "overseas retirement." Lots of articles on a daily basis. When it comes to cost of living, there are many places just as cheap or cheaper than the Philippines. A recent article has five countries where ex-pats as residents can obtain quality medical insurance for less than $80 a month (Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Panama, Malaysia). Flying home for visits? Philippines is probably more expensive because of the distance to North America and Europe. Other locations also offer excellent beaches, good food and favorable climate.

It is that 'distance' that has helped protect the Philippines from westernization for so long. Sadly that is rapidly changing. If people wanted to live in a western country and the issues that such countries have (western me me me attitudes of 'a few' women et al) they have it all ready. But the Philippines offers things and attitudes (and prices) that are long gone in western countries.

• Like 5

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I am building in the Philippines because my wife's family lives there. I will be a snow bird living 3 to 4 months per year on the beach and returning to Toronto in the spring.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Maybe it is because people like turmoil. In yesterdays world peace ranking, Philippines was 2nd lowest out of 150 countries at 149, North Korea was 150.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/philippines-among-least-peaceful-countries-in-global-peace-index/ar-BBC0sio

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I was looking at the 4 Spanish speaking countries that you mentioned plus Ecuador but then I met my Filipina so here I am. And that is the only reason.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Maybe it is because people like turmoil. In yesterdays world peace ranking, Philippines was 2nd lowest out of 150 countries at 149, North Korea was 150.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/philippines-among-least-peaceful-countries-in-global-peace-index/ar-BBC0sio

Not sure where MSM was getting their information from but it does not appear it was from the data they cite. Data that in many ways looks pretty goofy. Miscellaneous examples (out of 163 by the way) Iceland 1, Canada 8, Australia 15, Qatar 35, UK 47, US 103, China 119, Saudi 129, Philippines 139, India 141, N Korea 150, Russia 151, Syria 163

http://visionofhumanity.org/indexes/global-peace-index/

Edited by AlwaysRt
spelling
  • Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Not sure where MSM was getting their information from but it does not appear it was from the data they cite. Data that in many ways looks pretty goofy. Miscellaneous examples (out of 163 by the way) Iceland 1, Canada 8, Australia 15, Qatar 35, UK 47, US 103, China 119, Saudi 129, Philippines 139, India 141, N Korea 150, Russia 151, Syria 163

http://visionofhumanity.org/indexes/global-peace-index/

So they put in 13 more countries and it moves the Philippines up 10 places. Not a lot of difference between 139 and 149.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jpbago said:

So they put in 13 more countries and it moves the Philippines up 10 places. Not a lot of difference between 139 and 149.

No you're right but it is better than the Bottom EH?

• Like 4