Why The Philippines?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

It always comes back to English. I have picked up some Tagalog and some Bisaya, enough to know that with years and lots of effort, I may be able to make myself understood.

My wife's neighbour ( from mamas house that is) has been here 58 years, came as a missionary, Now to me he speaks perfect Bisaya but they still laugh at him. Please don't anyone think any of us will get that far with bisaya, Tagalog maybe but that will be useless day to day here in Negros Oriental, up North in Occidental they will not even speak to you because it is Ilongo SO yes Robert, it come back to English, unless you want to go to Zamboanga where they speak Spanish still as their first language :smile:

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

My wife's neighbour ( from mamas house that is) has been here 58 years, came as a missionary, Now to me he speaks perfect Bisaya but they still laugh at him. Please don't anyone think any of us will get that far with bisaya, Tagalog maybe but that will be useless day to day here in Negros Oriental, up North in Occidental they will not even speak to you because it is Ilongo SO yes Robert, it come back to English, unless you want to go to Zamboanga where they speak Spanish still as their first language :smile:

Not too worried about being laughed at Jack, I mispronounce words in English (on purpose) sometimes to make people laugh. I just want to be understood. Sometimes I will use an archaic word and get a funny look. I tell them it's a perfectly good word.:smile:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

Not too worried about being laughed at Jack, I mispronounce words in English (on purpose) sometimes to make people laugh. I just want to be understood. Sometimes I will use an archaic word and get a funny look. I tell them it's a perfectly good word.:smile:

My accent is not the same as when I was in the UK.I have  changed it over the years so that more people can understand me

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

My accent is not the same as when I was in the UK.I have  changed it over the years so that more people can understand me

Lots of different accents in the US. My 6th grade English teacher had such a strong, deep woods, Mississippi accent that I couldn't understand more than 1/4 of the words she said. So it's not ALL my fault...:hystery:.

10th grade English teacher was cute and gave off powerful pheromones...like a skunk in reverse.:smile: I was having trouble with something and she came over to help as a good teacher would and I actually told her she would have to step back because I couldn't think. She turned beet red. In spite of all that I can generally make myself understood in English, no guarantees though.

I remember the story of the Japanese student enrolled at UCLA who was asking where to get a "stadium jumper" and nobody could figure out what he meant. He had to point at a sweatshirt.:smile:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jpbago said:

Maybe it is because people like turmoil. In yesterdays world peace ranking, Philippines was 2nd lowest out of 150 countries at 149, North Korea was 150.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/philippines-among-least-peaceful-countries-in-global-peace-index/ar-BBC0sio

Having read the article, it has been prepared by those with biased views at the very least IMO.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Having read the article, it has been prepared by those with biased views at the very least IMO.

It was written by a Filipina reporter, Rosette Adel for a Philippines newspaper, PhilStar Global. What do you think that her bias was?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I was told that English was spoken in the Philippines before I came here but I was surely surprised that it is true in certain areas only. I live in a rather poor part of Negros and there is absolutely no English spoken here outside of our family and even that is limited. I learned yesterday that "down the heat" means let it cool.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I was told that English was spoken in the Philippines before I came here but I was surely surprised that it is true in certain areas only. I live in a rather poor part of Negros and there is absolutely no English spoken here outside of our family and even that is limited. I learned yesterday that "down the heat" means let it cool.

They speak English but sometimes it can be very pigeon English and very hard to understand.My daughter is Bi lingual and I learn some Visayan from her.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Open the light and don't forget to close it when not needed.

• Like 4