BPI Savings Account Holders Experiencing Lost Money, Negative Balances

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Just saw this and thought it might save somebody some hassle.

MANILA, PHILIPPINES -- Just this morning, a lot of BPI account holders are having issues with their account as some have lost money and some have negative balances.

Storms of mad customers from one of the largest banking company in the Philippines, Bank of the Philippine Islands, have been ranting on social media due to irregularities happening on their accounts, affecting every savings or current accounts they have.

Just today, around 6:30AM, news cracked as one of employees from an international BPO company located in Ortigas claimed that they were missing a huge amount of money from their payroll accounts. It was easily assumed that the problem was only on the company's end, until another savings account from the said bank has also lost a significant amount of money, which is in no way connected to the company.

Soon after, it was proven that it was not about the payroll department as there has been a storm of tweets circulating online that BPI accounts may have been hacked as some are seeing withdrawals and even some are getting negative balances as up to five digit negatives. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They claim it is not hacking and I would tend to believe that given the "negative balance" angle.

http://business.inquirer.net/230905/internal-data-processing-error-bpi-reported

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

They claim it is not hacking and I would tend to believe that given the "negative balance" angle.

:89: You mean Some or most are Lying? :huh: 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

http://business.inquirer.net/230905/internal-data-processing-error-bpi-reported

From the BPI FB page:

BPI ADVISORY (updated):
Further to our announcement this morning, we have identified an internal system error that caused some transactions occurring between April 27 and May 2 to be double-posted as of June 6.
We have identified the root cause of this error, and are temporarily suspending access to electronic channels to speed up rectification. All BPI branches will open on time this morning, and will continue to service your needs.
We anticipate full resolution of this error within today. We wish to reassure our clients that this matter will be resolved expediently, and that none of them will lose money from this incident.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

and that none of them will lose money from this incident.

:89: Is this Possible do you think?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the updates OMW. My wife was worried about her BPI savings account. Just tried to login to the BPI website but am still getting a down for maintenance page.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Thanks for the updates OMW. My wife was worried about her BPI savings account. Just tried to login to the BPI website but am still getting a down for maintenance page.

The website seems to be working now.

We went to Royal Duty Free today and when I pulled out my BPI debit card, the guy immediately said that BPI is down.  Hope it is all fixed now.  I had not checked my accounts for at least a month because we were in the U.S.  They seem ok.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Prime example why I don't do my banking in the Philippines.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I do online banking, but as a precaution, the monthly statement in PDF format is downloaded to my laptop and to an external hard drive as a copy. Any errors can be disputed if you can make a hard copy to show the bank. In addition, any withdrawals larger than $1,000 from the bank accounts or charges on my credit cards results in an email alert

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a bad experience a while back with BPI. I tried to withdraw money from a BPI bank with my US debit card. No money was dispensed but there was a debit for the amount in my US bank. Good thing that I quickly checked and notified them. BPI acknowledged the error but left it up to me and my US bank to work it out. 

We closed both our savings and checking accounts at BPI. 

My wife  had problems with BPI before this. From rude treatment and sarcastic remarks to lack of concern.

We never had any problem with our other Philippine bank BDO. 

As for BPI, "do me once, shame on you, do me twice, shame on me"

so, it doesn't surprise me that they (BPI ) is having  problems . They never seemed to look into any complaints and check out their computers for "glitches". 

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 1