Rental Contract

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A couple of days ago, we had the rental contract for a townhouse in Bauang sent to us for perusal and signing.  Two days later and 5 changes, it has been signed and deposit sent.

1. Townhouse number not noted on contract.

2. Incorrect SO name on lease, my name did not appear.

3. Provision for early release with 30 days grace before return of bond, changed to 7 (if in fact you get it back, another issue)

4. A clause stating that all appliances are the responsibility of the tenant (good for them, not so good for me if we arrive and the TV s...ts itself the next day)

5. A clause that if ANY person is injured upon the premises, it is tenants liability. (so if a repairman, electrician etc. is there doing work for the owner, injures himself or worse, bad luck for the tenant).

6. Refund of bond at expiration of the lease up to 30 days (changed to 7)

End result was all good, all changes requested were acceded to.

The original draft was the most lopsided contract I have ever seen, good if someone just comes along and signs it.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Did they require your passport?  

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am not there yet, but assume they will want to copy it once we arrive and take possession, that is pretty normal.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I am not there yet, but assume they will want to copy it once we arrive and take possession, that is pretty normal.

I think the reason might be in case you want to skip without honoring your signed lease agreement. They could report you to Bureau of Immigration. so, be careful what you sign and agree to.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I think the reason might be in case you want to skip without honoring your signed lease agreement. They could report you to Bureau of Immigration. so, be careful what you sign and agree to.

Yes thanks for the heads up.  But apart from the things I mentioned, the rest was ok, very log winded, but that is usual there from what I can see.

We have seen the resort/residence area last time in October last year.  I got it down to the rent we wanted to pay, it is only a 6 months lease, during that time we will look around and see what is on offer.  It has a pool and as I have a chronic back condition, swimming and water exercise is about it for me, so that was the swaying factor.  Good location for transport etc, close to main town of Bauang, so ticks all the boxes.  But again, thanks for sensible advice.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Yes thanks for the heads up.  But apart from the things I mentioned, the rest was ok, very log winded, but that is usual there from what I can see.

We have seen the resort/residence area last time in October last year.  I got it down to the rent we wanted to pay, it is only a 6 months lease, during that time we will look around and see what is on offer.  It has a pool and as I have a chronic back condition, swimming and water exercise is about it for me, so that was the swaying factor.  Good location for transport etc, close to main town of Bauang, so ticks all the boxes.  But again, thanks for sensible advice.

Well sounds like you`ve got it cracked mate.Good luck.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Since they misspelled the name anyway? Get an unknown third party to sign the lease so they are responsible...if they can be located? It's not your name nor your SO's. Consume your deposit.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Out of the 4 places I have rented I have only ever had 1 rental contract and it was not as complicated as Rons.Basically it said one month notice and keep the place clean or you will pay out of your deposit.

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Do you mind sharing at least ballpark rent amount and amenities that gets you?