Rental Contract

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ron mate I don't to put any dampers on this Move as I believe it is the Right one But a Friends sister and her Husband in the next Barangay came from the UK last week to what he thought was a Rented Apartment only to find that although he has a signed contract/Agreement No money had changed hands. The Landlord just let the Apartment because the other man crossed his Palm Argument to the Police was But the Contract was signed outside of the PI and no Deposits paid.  Ron. based on this please keep in constant contact with the Owner. Yes?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The Landlord just let the Apartment because the other man crossed his Palm

I've had it happen to me too.  Surely I have mentioned it on the forum before.  If its a good deal, and you have not moved in yet, its another foreigner who is likely to screw you over by offering the landlord/lady more money and you end up SOL.  The worst case I know of was my buddy who paid 6 months in advance and when he showed up he could not get in because the one he paid the money to was not qualified to rent the place out and was nowhere to be found.

But these are anomalies to explain why we always say "boots on the ground" before contracting to rent a place.  Most of the time it all works out so best of luck, but if it comes down to it we will gladly say "We toldja so" :hystery: :7500: :crack-up:

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Some negative input here from some contributors and as an opportunist, pessimist at times myself I see the point/s but guys remember Ron has been around the block a few times, not saying he is a tart but as a regular contributor/conspirator on this site and probably others,,,,, hence tart, from my observations, knowing the locale he has secured and personally staying in the resort he won't have a problem, a very good area and compound adjacent to a resort precinct. Noise on weekends may be an issue depending on how far back in the complex the town house is, the beach is average and some 800M away but there are the resort pools and a bar for relaxing and lots of action. Personally I doubt that Ron will come unstuck in this precinct as it is up market and as said investment properties to be rented by the wealthy to help pay the mortgage and or body corp fees. We have stayed in a lot worse in the area over the years. Good luck to you Ron with your choice, pls advise if it is a bucket of sh1t.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

but guys remember Ron has been around the block a few times,

Are you saying I haven't?  Or that my experience should be discounted because Ron is smarter than me?

Yep.  You're right.  He's probably not gonna have someone else scooping the deal out from under him.  It does not happen every day.

I'm sure Ron is a purty smart fellow.  But I tend to think of myself the same way, and I would no longer do a rental contract without boots on the ground, paying for the first months rent, and sticking something of mine in the house.  Then I can claim "Thats my stuff, I've paid my rent and deposit for this place."  I had to learn that the hard way.  Some will never have to learn that lesson as they will always meet honest, law abiding people, who value contracts and follow the full intent of the law.  I hope Ron met one of those.  Probably did.  Too late to worry about it now anyway.  (But I'll still say I toldja so if he gets screwed over :hystery: )  Actually I wouldn't do that, Ron.  I know how frustrating it can be to find out people cannot be trusted in Philippines and so many of the laws and contracts are useless. So I sincerely wish you the best of luck and trust it will all work out well for you.

I wouldn't have mentioned anything in the first place but that dang Jack Peterson started it :1927_: in post 21 :hystery: :7500:

• Like 4

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you saying I haven't?  Or that my experience should be discounted because Ron is smarter than me?

Yep.  You're right.  He's probably not gonna have someone else scooping the deal out from under him.  It does not happen every day.

I'm sure Ron is a purty smart fellow.  But I tend to think of myself the same way, and I would no longer do a rental contract without boots on the ground, paying for the first months rent, and sticking something of mine in the house.  Then I can claim "Thats my stuff, I've paid my rent and deposit for this place."  I had to learn that the hard way.  Some will never have to learn that lesson as they will always meet honest, law abiding people, who value contracts and follow the full intent of the law.  I hope Ron met one of those.  Probably did.  Too late to worry about it now anyway.  (But I'll still say I toldja so if he gets screwed over :hystery: )  Actually I wouldn't do that, Ron.  I know how frustrating it can be to find out people cannot be trusted in Philippines and so many of the laws and contracts are useless. So I sincerely wish you the best of luck and trust it will all work out well for you.

I wouldn't have mentioned anything in the first place but that dang Jack Peterson started it :1927_: in post 21 :hystery: :7500:

Dave, you, and I am sure many others have come unstuck with rental properties over the years, yourself obviously, personally not,,,,,,,,, not only in PH but other countries also. While for Ron not being on the ground initially with this rental agreement (but knowing the area and property where he is destined for as he is) I as said am sure he did his home work as "we" do, been there done that. I can draw many conclusions from the post I am replying to, "bitter", "unfortunate", "experience"? Undoubtedly all of the above and I am sure all readers (including Ron) will take heed from your comments and exercise due diligence so as not to fall into the traps/misnomer experienced by yourself and others.

I am sure Ron will inform us of is experience and security regarding his and his ladies choice embarking on their new life in PH.

Cheers, Steve.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Some negative input here from some contributors and as an opportunist, pessimist at times myself I see the point/s but guys remember Ron has been around the block a few times, not saying he is a tart but as a regular contributor/conspirator on this site and probably others,,,,, hence tart, from my observations, knowing the locale he has secured and personally staying in the resort he won't have a problem, a very good area and compound adjacent to a resort precinct. Noise on weekends may be an issue depending on how far back in the complex the town house is, the beach is average and some 800M away but there are the resort pools and a bar for relaxing and lots of action. Personally I doubt that Ron will come unstuck in this precinct as it is up market and as said investment properties to be rented by the wealthy to help pay the mortgage and or body corp fees. We have stayed in a lot worse in the area over the years. Good luck to you Ron with your choice, pls advise if it is a bucket of sh1t.

Cheers, Steve.

What your saying and reading between the lines is that you know something more than other members about this location so one has to remember from an outsider looking in that knows nothing of this place results in members commenting on their experiences. If we all knew this place then it would be come on down the waters fine but since we dont comments will follow. Yes I'm sure Ron has this all worked out and happy days ahead. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know how frustrating it can be to find out people cannot be trusted in Philippines and so many of the laws and contracts are useless. So I sincerely wish you the best of luck and trust it will all work out well for you.

Sadly, not just the Philippines. In the US I have taken to advising people to think long and hard before signing any contract with the litmus test being, Is the deal worth the time and expense of enforcing the contract if the other side doesn't perform? I sign very little these days.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, bigpearl said:

You will be swimming in the pool/s within your complex, San Juan is a 30 plus minute drive, good coffee up there though and better beaches. San Juan is expensive and more so as the years role by. Closer to your SO's family but hey, distance can bring benefits and a hell of a lot less head aches. 35/40 mins from family works for us,,,,,, I hope, some family member in Bacnotan 5 mins away but no dramas there I am sure. Enjoy your new home and prosper.

Cheers, Steve.

You are right Steve, I will swim mainly in the pool as I do exercises also with low impact.  But I do like to go for a surf every now and then, not that I am much good at it.  Even on the north side, still 4  plus hours away from family - that works for me.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I'm sure Ron has this all worked out and happy days ahead

Of course he has.  Ron's been around the block.  We've all been around the block and nothing bad has ever happened to any of us. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

We are all just a bunch of cynics for no reason.  Broke cynics, because so many of us have done our "due diligence" in various endeavors and still got screwed over.  Would you agree JGF?  Do you think anyone ever learns from reading of other people getting scammed?  I know I didn't :bonk: but I keep hoping that sharing the positive AND negative experiences I have had here may help someone one day.  So many people have been scammed here in Philippines but don't talk about it because they are embarrassed to admit it or because they just want to forget about it.

I tend to believe that people who have never had it happen to them have simply never had their rose colored glasses broken.  Life is so wonderful when people can wear them.  I truly hope the glass remains full for all our members here.

Just to illustrate the point:  This site I am linking to if you click right here tells about "There's a new condo rental scam in town".  No there isn't.  Its an old rental scam that's been going on for decades but the author only just found out about it.  Too bad he is not a member of this forum and reading of the old-timer's experiences here.  Its Philippines.  YMMV but the people without the rose colored glasses are trying to caution fellow members to be careful, not get called cynics.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2017 at 7:00 AM, mogo51 said:

I doubt I will have any problems earthdome, owners are doctor/dentist husband and wife, so assume they are ethical.

The Landlord/lady who kept our deposit were devout church goers.They would sit outside each Sunday evening and recite the Rosary.Maybe you will be lucky Ron.You just don`t know until you try and if you worry about every eventuality you will never do anything.

• Like 4