Personal questions, how do you deal with them?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've always thought most personal questions from Filipinos to be harmless curiosity. I answer with a vague answer if it's something that puts us at risk or in a humours way even asking the same back to them.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I believe it is a cultural thing, just the way it is.

Just compare the normal greeting here to what we are used to. Most of us say "Hi, how ya doing?" or "Whats up"

Here the common form (in my experience) is "Sa pupinta(spelling)" which literarily translates to "Where are you going?"

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

"Where are you going?"

To that I used to say:  "Crazy.  Wanna come?"  But it just got a puzzled expression so now I just say "exercise" and I get a nod and satisfied response.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The nosy ones ask because they want to reaffirm that they are richer than you or paid more than you and thus, somehow, justify that they are better than you.  At least that's how they come across.

and that is one of the 'express routes' to get on my 'not gonna bother even talking to you' list.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I never get asked as they do not speak English but they do ask my wife. She gives them vague answers, never details.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jpbago said:

She gives them vague answers, never details.

OH! How I wish that were the case in My House:whistling:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

and that is one of the 'express routes' to get on my 'not gonna bother even talking to you' list.

Is that the 500 peso express line haha.

How I answer any personal question depends on who and how it is asked by.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

Wife friends and some relatives are the worse. They always seem to want to know when are we going to go to America, about my income, my age, and our plans for children.

As far as the questions, I do get lots of the same questions. I usually respond to the “when are we going to go to America” question with IDK yet or we’re undecided.

As far as age, I love to shock family, friends and strangers alike by telling them the truth, since I love to see the shocked looks on their faces. They always think that I’m lying about my age (63) because they think that I’m younger.

After all, I get the same type of shocked reactions whenever I use the ‘Senior’ lines at SM Market—most of the time, I get questioned by the check-out clerks with: “Are you a senior?” :smile:

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

As far as the questions, I do get lots of the same questions. I usually respond to the “when are we going to go to America” question with IDK yet or we’re undecided.

As far as age, I love to shock family, friends and strangers alike by telling them the truth, since I love to see the shocked looks on their faces. They always think that I’m lying about my age (63) because they think that I’m younger.

After all, I get the same type of shocked reactions whenever I use the ‘Senior’ lines at SM Market—most of the time, I get questioned by the check-out clerks with: “Are you a senior?” :smile:

Me too, I hate when the girls ask if I'm married and Fe says yes.

When they ask how much I make........I say not too much I'm married.

When they ask how much my house, car, shirt cost...All my money and I had to borrow a bit from Fe.

Most work went to a cock fight with a nephew and he asked if I needed money to buy beer.  Of course I told him no, he could buy the beer I didn't want to get in trouble with his aunt when we got home uninhibited and inebriated. 

He looked confused until I said Fe would kill me if I brought him home sh....t faced.

• Like 5