Where do you draw the line

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who did not read the original topic.  It was not so much about leaving a tip but to leave it to a waitress who my wife believed did not deserve it. Since I am accustomed to leaving a tip in the states, I did t think twice about it. 

I know  now that in some restaurants here there is a "service charge" added to the bill which I understand now takes the place of a tip. Many Filipinos never ever leave a tip since they are not accustomed to doing it. No one raises an  eyebrow over it. 

To each his own. My wife is free to decide whether or not to leave a tip and how much. Nothing to draw a line about.

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, scott h said:

On our last trip to the states I notised this at Olive Garden. New to me. Thought is was a great idea!:thumbsup: Saved me from doing the math :hystery:

I can do the math. You drop one digit. It is also known as 10%.

Some receipts calculate the amount for 10%, 15%, 20% and 25% tip. You choose the amount to add.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, scott h said:

On our last trip to the states I notised this at Olive Garden. New to me. Thought is was a great idea!:thumbsup: Saved me from doing the math :hystery:

Yeah but, suggesting 20% is BS.  The whole U.S. tipping system has been broken for years.  I believe in an incentive system, but there is no reason for the tip % to go up over the years.  The prices of the food go up, so no need for tip % to go up.  Good wait staff can make excellent money in the U.S. and they probably still get away with under reporting their income to the IRS, while the employers benefit by underpaying their basic wage. 

Sorry, off topic.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I can do the math. You drop one digit. It is also known as 10%.

Some receipts calculate the amount for 10%, 15%, 20% and 25% tip. You choose the amount to add.

By doing it this way, you are tipping the service charge and the VAT and the food.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Many places have the tablet at your table so you can place your order and pay without having to wait for the bill. Just tap your card.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Many places have the tablet at

The world is just getting to complicated for me,,,,best to stay here, pay cash and smile :Count_Sheep:

• Like 5

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I fear that one day, the internet will be offline for a length of time.......keep cash on hand.

No need to wait... just look at BPI's recent computer problems.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

To each his own. My wife is free to decide whether or not to leave a tip and how much. Nothing to draw a line about.

Agreed.  To each his own.  In the case you posted about your wife was free to decide whether or not to leave a tip; but you were not permitted that same right as she overruled you, picked up the tip you left, and took it.

I commented to a friend the other day about how long term marriages seem to work best when one person just says "Yes Dear" to whatever the partner decides to say or do.  Of course there are other long term marriages that work when there are personal boundaries and each partner will fight to maintain their personal integrity so it is very true to say:  To each his/her own.

It is also noteworthy that either of these scenarios can result in breakups, depending on the personalities of the two individuals so you were also right about:

2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

The trick is in marrying someone who you can trust.

Or I would say marry someone you are completely compatible with.  The "Magic" is figuring that part out before the "I DO's" and hoping that neither party changes to become incompatible with the other.  That is where drawing the line helps.  When you get married you talk about what you want and don't want from your spouse.  If they change over time, well they could end up overriding every decision the spouse makes, to the point of making the spouse miserable because he/she is unable to make and carry out a decision that would make him/her happy.  Those kinds of spouses are often called Martyrs, colloquially, here in Philippines.

• Like 5