Where do you draw the line

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

"Where do you draw the line"

I usually draw the line at the beach in Dauin. I use my toes cuz I like the way the sand feels, especially wet sand. Added bonus in wet sand, the waves keep erasing the line and I get to draw it over and... 

:huh-huh: did I take a wrong turn again???? :89::hystery:

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I can do the math. You drop one digit. It is also known as 10%.

Some receipts calculate the amount for 10%, 15%, 20% and 25% tip. You choose the amount to add.

By doing it this way, you are tipping the service charge and the VAT and the food.

You touched on a good issue. How do you calculate tip whether you are a 10%, 15% or 20% tipper? I use the cost of food. (We don't drink alcohol or sugar water beverages.) Add your tip to that and disregard the sales tax or vat.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

How do you calculate tip whether you are a 10%, 15% or 20% tipper?

My mother figured that one out in Canada, maybe it would work here too.  She looks at the tax on the receipt (whatever the percentage is) and decides if its good enough for the government its good enough for the workers so whatever the tax shows on the receipt, she leaves that amount as a tip.  That means, when she visits Philippines she leaves, proportionally, the same tip she leaves in any other country.  In Philippines that is 12% so if she buys me lunch and spends 1000 pesos, the VAT included in the bill will show up as about 107 pesos while the cost of the actual meal is 893.  So she would leave 107 pesos but probably round it up to 120 or down to 100 depending on service.

PS:  She is much richer than me so I would leave 20 pesos a person :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

PS:  She is much richer than me so I would leave 20 pesos a person :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

I think this is a good Figure, Here in Dumaguete that can be 10% of their days wages, not bad for maybe 10/15 mins  actual work time in total for serving us and having that little light banter take that over 10 tables served x maybe 4 to a table all giving a little something (Which we do) not a bad day at work EH?

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My mother figured that one out in Canada, maybe it would work here too.

Your mother is a genius! I must remember that one. My problem at the moment is my wife writes a daily blog about our travels. She likes to feature in photos our food being held up by the waiter or waitress as it arrives. Then there is a conversation about the blog and about our travels. I end up tipping 20% to 25% -- sort of adding extra as modeling fee.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think this is a good Figure

If she has a "good figure" I may leave a little more :hystery:

But its story time again :photo-109: On one occasion, in Canada, when I was younger, I left about 5% for the tip.  The waiter came up to me and gave it back, in front of my friends, and said in a condescending tone:  "Sir, if that is all you can afford to tip then you need it more than me, thank you."

Could it be that some are afraid of getting that reaction from a filipino and thus overtip?

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

If we are sensible we would discuss this with our other half and maybe avoid some problems in the future.

Bang on but only as long as they are sensible enough to :89: Listen and Understand :smile:

• Like 3