Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

It seems to me that most Filipinos are not aware of the world’s geography (with the obvious exception, being the Philippines).

Although I’ve repeatedly shown a virtual globe of the world to members of my wife’s family [to point out the existence and location of the world’s oceans, continents (with the names and locations of all of the countries) and islands (including the Philippines)] , I still get questions (from the very same people) that make me scratch my head—e.g., “can you drive your car from Washington, DC to Germany?”:89:

Is it really worth the trouble to explain geography, history, etc.? It seems to me that the average Filipino prefers to be blissfully ignorant of such things. Am I alone with having this belief?

P.S. I don’t mean any disrespect to Filipinos. I am just asking for a consensus of my opinion.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I don’t mean any disrespect to Filipinos

I think its across all folks. I remember marching my guys across the boonies once and we toped a rise and could see the ocean. One of my soldiers asked if that was the Atlantic, his grandma told him about the ocean once. We were based in California at the time :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

It seems to me that most Filipinos are not aware of the world’s geography (with the obvious exception, being the Philippines).

Although I’ve repeatedly shown a virtual globe of the world to members of my wife’s family [to point out the existence and location of the world’s oceans, continents (with the names and locations of all of the countries) and islands (including the Philippines)] , I still get questions (from the very same people) that make me scratch my head—e.g., “can you drive your car from Washington, DC to Germany?”:89:

Is it really worth the trouble to explain geography, history, etc.? It seems to me that the average Filipino prefers to be blissfully ignorant of such things. Am I alone with having this belief?

P.S. I don’t mean any disrespect to Filipinos. I am just asking for a consensus of my opinion.

I try to show my wife locations and she even asks sometimes. I get the feeling maybe the problem is assuming they know how to read a map? She knows what a map is and will look with me, don't think what she sees and what I see is the same information. Or maybe it is the concept of larger distances, I don't know. Makes it hard to figure out how to teach the 'missing' part.

6 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Our niece thinks that Dubai is a country and she has worked there for 4 years plus used the airport at least 5 times where it must say "Welcome to UAE" after immigration.

I believe the sign says 'squiggly line, dot dot, more squiggles, dot' (sorry, no disrespect intended, just my inability to read the language)

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, scott h said:

I think its across all folks. I remember marching my guys across the boonies once and we toped a rise and could see the ocean. One of my soldiers asked if that was the Atlantic, his grandma told him about the ocean once. We were based in California at the time :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Capture.JPG

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Don't feel bad, after living here 5 years, I still have to show my wife which way the comfort room is at our local S:bonk:M

Capture-2.JPG

robert k
Posted
Posted

Absolutely not! Nor should we take them on an airplane. The more processes a person understands the less magic there is in the world.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Hey Mark,

You will get no disrespect from me.  I believe it's due to the lack of interest.  Besides teaching my wife the general basic geography at least for the south western part of US, the major points of the compass is met like a carabao blinded by headlights....he, he.  

You know, the sun rises on the east and the sun set at the western horizon, over the Pacific Ocean. And therefore north of us (about 800 miles away) is San Francisco and Mexico is south us.  Huh....as the carabao yawns and drops another load on the road.  

Another wonderful day in the life of da Philippines.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4