Should Ex Pats teach Geography?

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

However, if an individual has a desire to go to Japan, or USA, or any other country then by all means teach them the history and geography taught in that country.  

Dave, my wife's family has a strong desire to move to the USA. With that being said, I was only trying to help them but you are right about what you are saying... so I have stopped trying to educate them... now I just smile and nod my head (with a 'fake' yes) whenever they say something that makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

However, if an individual has a desire to go to Japan, or USA, or any other country then by all means teach them the history and geography taught in that country.  

I don't touch on history with my wife much, I do refer to google maps often though. I try to give her better understanding, and she does have interest in, locations that come up in conversation. For example, I am from Missouri, 2 best friends are from Florida and Ohio. I met one in Germany and one in Georgia. I make comments to guys on the forum from Canada, UK (England), and Australia. She has OFW cousins in Singapore and Saudi, another cousin is married to a guy from Virginia and the often make trips to Las Vegas....

The part she likes the least is the amount of time I spend going to the map all the time, however, the part she like the most is when her classmates are over and she asks me to bring up the map and she can show them where people are and how long it takes to get there compared to a flight to Manila.

• Like 5

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: BUT if you get to do this teaching can I ask that you educate many that ENGLAND or the UK is NOT a US State :smile: YET:hystery:

I already taught them that one BUT I still keep hearing my Filipino family tell me that the Americans discovered (and colonized) England... nothing left for me to do now but smile and give my standard 'fake' nod of yes. :mocking:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Americans discovered (and colonized) England

That was the joke in WW2 . . .  Americans were overpaid, over sexed and over here.  So I can see where she might get that impression from movies and jokes.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I already taught them that one BUT I still keep hearing my Filipino family tell me that the Americans discovered (and colonized) England... nothing left for me to do now but smile and give my standard 'fake' nod of yes. :mocking:

Easy way to explain that would be if that were the case surely the language would be called American. Birth of English....England.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Easy way to explain that would be if that were the case surely the language would be called American. Birth of English....England.

You think?... I already tried that but it must have been lost in translation (or something like that).

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

she asks me to bring up the map

I have a globe in the dining room so i can quickly spin her to the location.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I show my wife and daughter locations on the map,they are happy with that.I do teach them other things which will help them when I am no longer here.I think we all need to prepare them for that.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For example, picture 2 expats trying to "help" the local kids with their geography lessons. One expat is from Japan and one is from USA.  Here are the two world maps from the classrooms of those 2 expats countries. And the links to prove it.

How would it be if a globe was used? Is the earth flat or not?

• Like 1