Windows 10 OneDrive

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody have any opinions of OneDrive?  I'm still getting used to Windows 10 on my new laptop and looking into OneDrive.  Seems great at first glance but I have not used it yet.

Privacy concerns?  Copyright concerns?  I have a lot of temporarily downloaded movies, for personal viewing only.  Do I need to keep those away from Onedrive?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody have any opinions of OneDrive?  I'm still getting used to Windows 10 on my new laptop and looking into OneDrive.  Seems great at first glance but I have not used it yet.

Privacy concerns?  Copyright concerns?  I have a lot of temporarily downloaded movies, for personal viewing only.  Do I need to keep those away from Onedrive?

I have been using OneDrive since before it was called OneDrive. Works great for me, currently have about 32GB on it. I like it and will continue to use it.

Never looked into copyright issues, can't help with that part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2017 at 7:08 AM, OnMyWay said:

OneDrive is just Cloud storage, along the lines of Google Drive or Amazon Drive.

I've used OneDrive since it first started and was called by another name which I've long forgotten and never had a problem - Microsoft has renamed it several times that I'm aware of.

OneDrive, Google Drive, and Amazon Drive is Cloud storage only - there is no mechanism available that would allow one to stream content, such as a movie, to a device as one can do with music stored in one's Amazon Music Library.

Amazon does make it possible, through Amazon Web Services, for one to stream one's content stored in Amazon Drive but that is several steps above simply storing data there and something one must build (and pay for).

As for privacy concerns, I wouldn't recommend storing any files there which are sensitive, such as bank statements or tax returns unless they're encrypted using good encryption, such as PGP or Minilock.

All of the Cloud services encrypt whatever files one puts there when they are "at rest", ie; not in transit, so ones' privacy is more protected by keeping one's files there than it would be by keeping one's files on one's own computer in one's house. When one's files are "in transit", ie; being transferred to or from the Cloud, privacy is protected by an SSL connection between the Cloud and one's browser (computer).

I would also expect that relatively few of a Cloud services employees would be able to "decrypt" any particular files stored on the service and it probably takes more than one employee to do so.

As for copyright issues, so long as one is not publicly sharing any content to which one does not own the intellectual property rights (movies, music, books, computer code, etc.) there is no problem storing it on Cloud services.

• Like 1