Are there any Lumads in your area?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in southern Mindanao there are many. Most live up in and around the mountains. They are basically very poor. 

President Duterte when he was mayor of Davao City would send trucks to bring Lumads down to the city. He would do this  on certain days of the year. Then he would gather them back up and take them back. While they were in the city, they would wander around and ask for a handout of any kind. Many would wander in to the adjoining  neighbourhoods. This would give the people a way to give certain things that they no longer had any use for. Like clothes mostly but also toys, utensils, and other small items. Many would give money. 

My wife would always find something to give to them. GOODY, I would say. Now we have room for more junk but seriously, I enjoyed it as well.

Sara Duterte has followed up and does the same thing as her father. Both are popular with the poor of Mindanao.

Edited by Gratefuled
addition
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Sara Duterte has followed up and does the same thing as her father. Both are popular with the poor of Mindanao.

I had not heard the term Lumads until recently.  Seems many articles are written to say these Lumads are non-Muslim indigineous people who believe they have claim to the land with rich resources and they believe Duterte is in bed with large corporations who want to kill them and exploit their land.  That is my personal interpretation of what I am reading. Everyone is free to Google "Lumad Killings"and find dozens of articles.  Here is a link to one that caught my eye.

https://intercontinentalcry.org/philippine-government-declares-martial-law-indigenous-territories/

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Seems many articles are written to say these Lumads are non-Muslim indigineous people who believe they have claim to the land with rich resources and they believe Duterte is in bed with large corporations who want to kill them and exploit their land.

Do not believe articles written by anti-Duterte newspapers. Some are strong supporters of the Liberal Party which Duterte defeated. 

Lumads have no loyalty to Muslims. They live in Muslim controlled areas like the ARMM. Lumads are not a hostile people. They are very poor and get no assistance from anyone.  

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Do not believe articles written by anti-Duterte newspapers. Some are strong supporters of the Liberal Party which Duterte defeated. 

Lumads have no loyalty to Muslims. They live in Muslim controlled areas like the ARMM. Lumads are not a hostile people. They are very poor and get no assistance from anyone.  

At least I now know what a Lumad is. I suppose you could call my wife`s family and the people living around them up in the Cebu hills this.They are very poor but I have never heard of anyone giving them things except family members.I think it is a very good thing to help people as long as they don`t come to rely on it too much.Ed just one thing what is a Lumad going to do with a pair of high heeled shoes.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2017 at 7:39 AM, sonjack2847 said:

Ed just one thing what is a Lumad going to do with a pair of high heeled shoes.

I never said that people give them "high heel shoes". What gave you that idea?