Expat-Immigrant-Tourist

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gas said:

Expatriate refers to someone living outside his native country. Expatriate may be used as an adjective, noun or verb. Derived forms are expatriates, expatriated, expatriating, expatriation, the noun form of expatriate is sometimes abbreviated as expat. Originally, an expatriate was someone exiled from his home country, derived from the mid-1700s French word expatrier, meaning banish. The term expatriate carries the connotation that the person in question will one day return to his country of origin, or at least wishes to one day return to his country of origin.

An immigrant is a person who leaves his home and travels to another country in order to become a permanent member of the population. An immigrant is making a permanent change to his residency, with no plan to return to his country of origin or wish to return to his country of origin. The word immigrant comes from the Latin word immigrantem meaning to remove, to move in. Related words are immigrates, immigrated, immigrating, immigration.

http://grammarist.com/usage/expatriate-vs-immigrant/

I think you pretty well nailed it Gas.  I am an expat, whether I do return to my native country or not, is problematical.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see myself as an expat.  To me, when one is an immigrant, they are becoming part of their new country - that will never happen here.  I feel accepted enough... but know my place.  No matter how long I stay or what I do, I will always be seen as an outsider here, and I am ok with that. (I am on a 13a and I think am classified as a "resident alien") 

I have no idea if I will return to the US or not; I do not plan that far ahead. But I also have no plans on getting citizenship in the PIs. So while I may technically be an immigrant I call myself an expat. :tiphat: 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can only tell you what all of us dependents and our dads called it when we lived in Germany.  You may have been on the base but our family lived in a little German town, rented a house there, had a gf there, but went to school on the base and were taught with Ontario curriculum.

Well Dave, as with many things we all see them different, For me I don't see it and you do also it seems does this Young Lady that i have put a link for (For those That are interested);

http://shannonthemrs.blogspot.com/2014/04/are-military-families-considered-expats.html

Always two or many opposing thoughts things that make up good Topics and once again here we have another good one to chew over

Jack:thumbsup:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Always two or many opposing thoughts things

So true.  This is a great forum to find people with opposing thoughts.  I appreciate your opinions JP, even when they differ from mine.  At least I know you are not just posting an opposing view to stir me up.  That's been done by others :morning1:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So true.  This is a great forum to find people with opposing thoughts.  I appreciate your opinions JP, even when they differ from mine.  At least I know you are not just posting an opposing view to stir me up.  That's been done by others :morning1:

Never Young man, My views are my Views buthave always seen others as OOH! maybe I got it wrong but...........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):There Are some out there that have no real answer so they feel they must be like this;

communication to reply.jpg Of this, I tend to think we can all be guilty of at times but for me, not when I have a view or an Opinion I firmly believe in. Mainly, my fellow members here respect to a very large degree the somedays we must agree to Disagree  yet respect others opinions and points of View, as I have in this Topic I hope.

OK, OK, I know, moving on.png:hystery:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I am on a 13a and feel like an expat.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I am on a 13a and feel like an expat.

:hystery: Yes mate BUT to them you are an Alien :thumbsup: No wonder you feel you have a Split personality confused baby.jpg

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Yes mate BUT to them you are an Alien :thumbsup: No wonder you feel you have a Split personality confused baby.jpg

I admit that sometimes I can be a bit strange but Alien that`s pushing it even for you.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well Dave, as with many things we all see them different, For me I don't see it and you do also it seems does this Young Lady that i have put a link for (For those That are interested);

http://shannonthemrs.blogspot.com/2014/04/are-military-families-considered-expats.html

Always two or many opposing thoughts things that make up good Topics and once again here we have another good one to chew over

Jack:thumbsup:

Morning All:photo-109:

I think this is one of those subjects that has a 'technically correct' answer and 'practical day to day correct' answers. While in foreign service, military or civilian, you often find yourself on 'home soil' (RAF Lakenheath being an example of 'little America' as well as embassy's worldwide). While 'the member' may usually feel as if they are on 'home soil', and I always did just as you did, it should be easy to understand dependents, especially if living off-base, felt more like an expat and called themselves expats. I know several people in non-military foreign service (including a family member married to a guy in the US State Department) who work on American soil but live in the local community. They also call themselves expats. 

*miscellaneous off topic fact* I have been to RAF Lakenheath many times as I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters 85-88

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I really dislike that term Kev, the last time I looked, I did come from planet earth.

• Like 1