Expat-Immigrant-Tourist

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I admit that sometimes I can be a bit strange but Alien that`s pushing it even for you.

Well G & G's, although we do NOT like the Term, we can just look at our ACR i cards for the truth of how we are viewed. The repeat after me it says Alien Control Registration

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well G & G's, although we do NOT like the Term, we can just look at our ACR i cards for the truth of how we are viewed. The repeat after me it says Alien Control Registration

In the context used, alien simply means from a different country. This is true, what's not to like? No reason to take it as an insult or anything. 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

In the context used, alien simply means from a different country. This is true, what's not to like? No reason to take it as an insult or anything. 

I don`t take it as an insult most countries use that term.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I supposeso after all I did come out of the clouds allbeit above Mactan.

• Like 3

Gas
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

What difference are you talking about? Just the tendency for 'western' workers, usually for large corporations, to call themselves expats vs the common Filipino term of OFW? That is actually about the same as asking 2 people where they are from and one says America while the other says USA. 

The difference in how they are treated based solely on their race. I wasn't a white collar worker, however in most peoples eyes i was an expat and treated differently from the vast majority of Filipino workers who are classed as "guest workers" There is a very strong mindset in certain Asian countries that looks down on people from other Asian nations. It is very obvious in Hong Kong and i have  heard from friends in other Asian countries they have  had similar experiences.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Gas said:

The difference in how they are treated based solely on their race. I wasn't a white collar worker, however in most peoples eyes i was an expat and treated differently from the vast majority of Filipino workers who are classed as "guest workers" There is a very strong mindset in certain Asian countries that looks down on people from other Asian nations. It is very obvious in Hong Kong and i have  heard from friends in other Asian countries they have  had similar experiences.

I think that is less about 'expat' vs 'guest worker' and more about 'domestic helpers' are 'servants' and therefore 'second class humans'. A concept getting worse in Hong Kong the further they are from UK rule.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It all boils down to your visa status, if you are on a tourist visa for a hundred years you are a tourist not an expat.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

It all boils down to your visa status, if you are on a tourist visa for a hundred years you are a tourist not an expat.

That's got me thinking.  What kind of a visa do military men and their dependents have?

I lived in Germany for 4 years without even a passport, but back then kids could travel on their parents passport if I remember right, No that can't be right because I was old enough I flew back and forth to Canada on my own without a passport.  Took school field trips to Paris and Switzerland with the school (no passport).  I got my first (British) Passport at age 18 to fly back to England from Canada.  Funny how going home was the first time I needed it.  Then I got a Canadian one at age 21 when I signed the declaration and became a Canuck.

Possibly the definition of expat has evolved over the years as the restrictions on travel have increased.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I lived in Germany for 4 years without even a passport,

No Doubt so did "DAD" we had in those days what was called a Service card that explained who, what where and when. My Kids had a card that was very Similar, Just to add to this I had been in the RAF 11 years before I was Forced! to have a Passport YEP times change