Does your Filipina Wife let you shop at the Palengke (Market)?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

It depends on how much shopping she is wanting to do. A couple little things no problem, more items I need to "hide".

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Oh yeah!  I don't have to go home, but I do have to wait outside and out of sight.  What is so very funny is that we live in the small town of Moalboal.  After being here four years EVERYONE in town and all the surrounding area know that my wife is married to the foreigner from America, "you know the filipina that drives the Nissan X-Trail suv" :hystery:  

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, virginprune said:

I go to the market all the time,

Since I fell over in the Muck I don't Bother she goes at 5.30 or 6 when she needs things, but yes if they see a White or Black face beware

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

yes if they see a White or Black face beware

. . of minstrels:crack-up:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would negotiate when I went to the market, not so much because the money mattered but they don't respect you if you don't. I have even had some give me an unasked for discount on the second time I purchased from them and I suspect I was paying at least close to what a local would. If I ask how much at the market and they quote a price higher than in the hypermart? I just pass on and buy at hypermart. I don't mind negotiating but I don't want to be there all day. Refusing to buy, or negotiate is a form of negotiation, but a slow one. You might stop by several time over a month and ask how much? They will eventually realize they are losing business any day they don't sell out.

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

My husband just goes early mornings sometimes. I'm too lazy to go, and our town market doesn't have too much to offer.  I'm grateful that he's willing to go.:smile: If you speak Bisaya, they usually give a fair price though, so that hasn't been an issue in the times that I have gone. One time near our house some fishermen brought in some fish early morning to the shore to sell. One fish I kind of got excited about, and the fisherman asked a high price. My husband refused to pay, so we didn't get it.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I do my own grocery shopping and she does hers. She goes to Toril to the "wet market" for the veggies and fish. She knows how much she is willing to pay for the veggies and fish. I haven't the foggiest idea. I just pay.

• Like 3