Does your Filipina Wife let you shop at the Palengke (Market)?

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I usually drive my wife and wait in the car.  After the first several times the excitement was over.  Now about once every five or six weeks my wife asks me to to go pick up a few things  when she is tired or busy.  She tells me what she pays.  When I buy, I don't ask the price, just tell them what and how much I want.  Only once it happened they asked for more than my wife usually pays.  It was some vegetables I think.  I said that's more than last time and she smiled and said these are better.  I smiled and paid.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I go sometimes to fish market alone, as a visitor no one knows I'm married to a Filipina just a random Foregner. When I see some shrimp or squid I like I tell the vendor my wife is Filipina, that she told me the going price so you have to sell it to me at the price or I will be in big trouble with her. :bash:

Works every time with nods and smiles all around.:smile:

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I used to go into the wet market with her before we got our dog and if they gave her the kano price, she would just walk away. Now, I wait outside but I do walk around with her to get the fruits and vegetables. She gets the fair price and has no suki but buys only what is fresh.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jake said:

I usually tag along with Judy but keep my mouth shut.  One time however, I made a side trip to the bakery section (my favorite hangout) without her and with confidence, I spoke in Tagalog to negotiate a tawad.  The vendor looked at me strangely and nearly laughed at me.  I guess my Tagalog had an "American accent" and charged me a balikbayan price for a bag full of pandesal.    

Hanging out in one of those open air breakfast cafe is a great place for people watching.  With any kind of tapsilog, heavily sugared coffee and morning edition of PDI (Philippine Daily Inquirer), I'm in heaven staring at all the long hair beauties through my dark sunglasses.  

Then I feel the pull of the leash tied to my neck and it's time to go......

You just had to mention Tapsilog, didn't you? I have been craving the special from Connies, beef tapa, longanisa, chorizo, egg and garlic rice, wash it down with a 1L coke because their coffee is kind of weak. Hilarious that I actually lose weight eating that.  

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jake said:

Hanging out in one of those open air breakfast cafe is a great place for people watching.

Right on. I'm also a "people watcher" and not just the cute ones but anyone and everyone.

Coffee and a Bavarian filled cream donut for me.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Most markets have a manager and if you feel they are overcharging you can see them.I personally would not.I have used several markets and have not had the Kano price.In dalaguete I went to a hardware store and the man charged me the correct price,the cashier told him he should have charged me longnose price.If her mother had been there it would not have even been said as I had previously bought quite a few things there.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Most markets have a manager and if you feel they are overcharging you can see them.

There is also an "exact change law" in the Philippines. If the cashier or taxi driver does not give you the exact change, they could face a fine. It applies down to the last centavo. No exceptions.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

There is also an "exact change law" in the Philippines

That sounds really unusual.  Can you quote a link?  It runs contrary to what other countries do where its up to the consumer to pay the exact fare in many cases.  Its a security thing.  Bus drivers, taxi drivers etc do not want to be running around with a bunch of money inviting holdups etc.

This is Philippines so I have no problem believing what you say, its just that I prefer to trust and then verify. :whistling:

• Like 1